Friday, April 13, 2012

Gonaives Visit

This week, a team from South Carolina has been here doing VBS with all the students here at TLC.  The group has been coming to Haiti each year since TLC opened to spend time with the students and lead Vacation Bible School.

Because this week was really the only opportunity for me to "get away", I decided to go three hours north to Gonaives to visit my friend Keziah and the "tribe".  I didn't want to miss too much of my time with the team at TLC so I only spent one "full day" in G-town.

Rather than having to take a bus there, I was able to hitch a ride with Papa Beaver because he had to pick up some visitors from the airport.  So, I took a moto to the airport where I met the gang.  We had quite a few people with us, so I had to ride in the back of the truck.  It's always so refreshing for me to get out of the city and see the beautiful countryside.




The drive to G-town is beautiful and it follows the coast.  So, half-way there, we stopped along the bay to swim in the beautiful crystal clear waters.  I even did a little snorkeling.




During my time in Gonaives, Kez and I were able to sit down and spend some time together catching up.  It had been a month since we had last seen each other.  Kez is a nurse, and while I was there, she had clinic.  I was recruited to help play "eye doctor" for the day.  An optometrist from the states was visiting for the week.  So, I screened each of the children using an eye chart.  If they did not pass my vision test, they went on to see Dr. Justin.

Later in the afternoon, I visited the boys' adobe house.  In the fall when I was visiting, I was in Jubilee for the ground breaking of the adobe house.  The boys decided to make their own home by filling empty rice bags with dirt and stacking them in a circular formation.  Then, once the house was formed, they cemented the floor and covered the outside of the house in mud.  It was exciting to see the finished product.  I have to admit, it was nice and cool inside and much roomier than I imagined.



They built a loft for sleeping.



I think I could manage living in an adobe house.  Although, I do think I would miss running water and a toilet.




After checking out the boys' house.  Kez and I biked through the market and then back to her house that she shares with four other girls.

It was a great visit, however, I wish that I could have been longer!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Katie, I am thrilled to find your blog. Good for you that you are trying to learn the language! I love all of your photos!

    Before Sue & I left on Sunday, March 25, Dorothy commented that she wished our sewing ladies would come and make curtains for her. Immediately, I said, "We can do that!" So arranged to go back to her house after she had left for FL on Tues. and measure all the windows, make them here and get them to her before she goes back to Haiti from Florida.

    We did measure them, (there are 17 large windows) and another Susie & I have bought all the fabric and have some made, hoping to catch her before she goes back.

    I have had one email from her about April 3 or 4 and am desperate to hear from her again! Do you know when she is coming back? Do you have a US phone # for her?

    A question for you: because of all the dust and the windows are always open, they seemed to need a good cleaning. And what a bother with all the small glass panes. Do the nannies do the cleaning? A couple of us would be willing to pay them or someone who would come in and do a "spring cleaning", as a help to Dorothy. (Not that the dust free house would last more than a little while. What is your opinion of this idea? We do not! want to offend anyone. We got spoiled at the guest house and TLC school as they were very clean. I'm sure the priority is the children.

    It was good to get to know you a bit while we were at the school. I am the paint and stamp teacher.

    Blessings, Pat Derksen patricia.derksen.ca@gmail.com
    909-797-7270 my cell is at my son's today, but by Tues. 909-936-6830

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Katie, I called CLM for a phone # for Dorothy. They gave me a cell # and I just spoke with her. Hurray!

    I did not ask her about the cleaning. Was chicken. What do you think?

    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...