Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Safe House

I moved to a new apartment last week.  The decision to move was made last spring when my two friends, Chris and Grace got engaged.  Grace was living in an apartment with my friend Keziah and planned to move to a new house with her hubby after getting married.  That meant that Kez needed a roommate.  So, she asked me to move in with her!

However, plans changed slightly a few weeks before we came back to Haiti.  Kez called me to let me know that a friend of hers has terminal cancer.  That friend is our age and has no family to take care of her.  Being the amazing woman that she is, Kez decided to remain in the United States indefinitely to be with her friend. (Please keep them both in your prayers over the coming months).

That threw a slight wrench in our plans to live together.  Since it was so last minute, we couldn't find anyone to fill her space at the apartment.  So, until Kez can come back to Haiti, I am living here alone.

Thankfully, I have five American and Canadian friends that live right next door, I have great Haitian neighbors, and in October two other American friends will be moving into the apartment directly above me.  So, I'm not really alone.

Monday, my lovely friends helped me move all of my belongings from my old house to my new one.  I didn't realize how much stuff I've accumulated until it was all sitting in one pile.



I've spent the better part of Tuesday and Wednesday unpacking, washing (its very dusty here), and organizing all my things.  I really want to get all of this house work finished before I have to start school prep.  I'm almost finished, and I am finally starting to see the floor of my living room again!

Oh and in case you were wondering why the title of this blog is "The Safe House", let me explain.  We like to name our houses around here.  With so many people living in them, it just makes it easier to keep track of....and, its more fun.  Keziah and Grace named this apartment the safe house because of its proximity to the cemetery.  Haitians are afraid of cemeteries and they believe that the dead can be raised and turned into zombies.  Many Haitian friends even told them that they wouldn't visit because it was too close to the cemetery.  That is where the name "The Safe House" was born.

In the future, I'd like to post a video tour of the apartment since many of you have expressed your curiosity as to what our houses are like here.  But, I have to finish unpacking before I will video tape it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...