Saturday, October 19, 2013

School has been going great.  It keeps me very busy.  Both the kids and I seem to be finally getting back into the swing of things.  I'm so impressed with how much my kids have remembered from last school year.

This past Tuesday, one of our teachers had to leave school and go to the hospital because he had contracted cholera.  All of our teachers and students joined together to pray for him.  We, the teachers, visited him at the cholera clinic after school on Wednesday.  The patients sleep on cots made of tarp with holes cut in them for their uncontrollable diarrhea.  I know that he is glad to finally be released today.   We praise God that he has recovered and is healthy again.

Please pray for the cholera problem.  It appears that it may have spiked again.  We have been hearing of more and more cases lately and with the poor sanitation in Jubilee, cholera would be bad news if it were to spread again.

Yesterday was an interesting day in Gonaives.  Little did I know, all day while I was teaching, there were riots going on very close to my house.  There are several rumors floating around as to the reason.  When I drove home from school on my motorcycle, I unknowingly drove through tear gas that the wind had blown in the direction of my house.  Needless to say, that wasn't too enjoyable.  All afternoon and evening, we watched from my 2nd story porch as UN soldiers and Haitians fought in the street 100 yards from my house.  Watching clouds of tear gas and hearing gunshots all evening is a little unsettling.  Thankfully, we were safe and sound in our house.  Even more thankfully, it seems that all is well this morning and back to normal.

There is certainly never a dull moment here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...