Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Smelly Feet

Last year, I had a student named David in my class. He was and continues to be the class clown, often disrupting lessons with his antics.  For example, one day when he noticed a preschooler getting attention because he had peed his pants, David announced to all his friends: look I'm going to pee myself too...and he did! There is no limit to what this boy will do to get a laugh. 

His sense of humor is especially unique here in Haiti. He notices things that others don't and finds the humor in them - a true comedian. As his teacher, last year I didn't always appreciate him disrupting the class but as time passed I learned to appreciate the laughter he brought and tried to leave some space for it every now and then. 

Recently, David popped his head into my classroom while I was working at my desk and nochalontly handed me a folded piece of paper. "Samuel asked me to give this to you" he said and quickly turned to walk away. The kids often give me notes so I didn't think much of it until I started to read. 

"Dear Katie,

My feet smell terrible!! They smell all day long! My feet smell really really bad. If you sniffed them, you would see how bad they stink. 

I wrote a song about it: wow! my feel stink - my feet stink!

Love,

Samul" ( yes, spelled incorrectly) 

I began to chuckle as I realized David had schemed up this note to play a joke on both Samuel and I. Sure enough when I looked up from my desk I saw David peeking around the door giggling. 

So, I grabbed a paper and began to write a note back. 


"Dear Samuel,

Don't worry. It's ok that your feet stink. Don't be embarrassed because David's feet smell WAY worse than yours. I can smell his feet all the way in my classroom! He has the stinkiest feet I have ever smelled! 

Love, 
Katie "

I folded the note up and wrote on the outside "For Samuel - do not let David read this!" 

I took the note and handed it to David with a smile. "Give this to Samuel, please" I said. I watched from a distance as he promptly read what I wrote on the outside of the note. He began laughing and without missing a beat tore open the note to see what I had written back to Samuel.  He absolutely loved my response and practically rolled on the floor laughing as he read. 

All the while poor timid Samuel was unaware!  But, when he found out he also enjoyed the joke! 


Samuel on left and David on right 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...