Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Arrived Safely

Hi everyone.  This is the first that I've had internet access since I returned to Haiti so I wanted to give a quick update.

My flight landed in Haiti on schedule Saturday despite many other flights being cancelled.  It was raining hard and there was no power in the airport when I arrived.  The rain stopped that evening and the flood waters went down in most areas.  I did see some damage from tropical storm Isaac as we drove to Gonaives.  But, thankfully it did not hit Haiti as hard as was predicted.

I've been in Gonaives since Sunday afternoon and I've been doing my best to adjust.  While the differences between Port-au-Prince and Gonavies are not huge, there certainly are differences.  I cannot possibly begin to describe Jubilee right now.  I don't have the time nor the brain power.  I think I will try to remember to take my camera one day and let the pictures do the talking.

I've been spending my days helping at the school moving furniture and planning class schedules.  Next week is teacher planning/prep and the following week school starts.

It has been HOT here.  It is 100 times dustier than Port.  I sweep up a full dust pan of dirt out of my bedroom on a daily basis.  I've embraced I'm trying to embrace the fact that I will probably be sweaty, smelly, and dirty the majority of the time that I am here.

My first night here I didn't have a mosquito net over my bed.  No big deal right?  I mean, I never used one in PAP.  WRONG!  I slept a max of 2 hours because I was constantly being bitten.  In the morning, I counted over 35 bug bites on just my left hand alone!  No exaggeration!  Needless to say, I purchased a net the following day.  It has made a world of difference.

I've been enjoying my time with all the other people in our "clan" and trying to get to know everyone better.  Sorry this isn't more descriptive, but its all that I have for now.  My brain/body is tired and the internet is slow so you'll have to wait for more details later.

Thanks so much for the prayers!  Keep them coming!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie. I stumbled upon your blog somehow today and I think I've read the entire thing. I made my first short-term mission trip to Haiti this summer (in PAP most of the time and just north of Miassade for a couple days) and the Lord put the people of Haiti on my heart. So thankful there are Christians like you there telling the Good News of Jesus. I'll be praying for you and following your blog!

    Here's mine from our trip.
    http://broxtonbabybabbles.blogspot.com/2012/07/haiti.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...