Friday, November 2, 2012

Meet Henry!

If you know me or have been reading my blog for a while, you know that I have a Haitian dog named Jake.  I found Jake when he was only about a month old.  He had a broken leg, was covered in lice and mites, and he was nearly dead.  I rescued him, patched him up, and he's been my most loyal friend ever since.  He even moved with me to the United States.  Unfortunately, I came back to Haiti and he did not.  He now lives with my mom and dad.  Of course, when I'm visiting, he knows that he's still my boy.  Any dog lover knows how much they become a part of your family.  I miss Jake as much almost as much my friends and family when I'm here in Haiti.

Jake and I 
Here in Gonaives, I share a house with another American, Julie.  She and I talked about getting a pet for our new house.  She suggested a puppy, but I remember how much work and commitment dogs take.  With my busy teaching schedule and lack of free time, I didn't think I was up for all that.  So, I suggested a cat.  It would be great for catching rodents and cockroaches and good company.  However, Julie hates cats.  Unable to come to an agreement, we let the idea of a pet go for a little while.

The week of my birthday, April (the principal of our school) asked me if I could puppy-sit the school's ten week old "watch dog" for a weekend.  She needed to go to Port and had no one to watch Rex, the Haitian puppy.  Wanting to help (and being a dog lover), I agreed.  When I took him home, I specifically had to remind myself not to get attached to him since he was not actually my dog.  April's trip to Port kept getting extended and with each passing day, I got more and more attached to the feisty little guy.  I ended up watching Rex for a week and by the time that April got back to Gonaives, I was very sad to say goodbye to him.

He found a box to sleep in while I was teaching

Luckily for me, April and Lala heard how much I loved the puppy.  So, they came back from Port with a leash and collar, and they gave Rex to me for my birthday!  However, there was a slight problem.  The reason that April went to Port was to pick up HER birthday present from the airport.  Someone sent her a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy named Dexter.  She calls him Dex for short.  Having Dex and Rex play together was not only confusing for the puppies, but also for all the people around!

So, I decided to change Rex's name.  After lots of deliberation, Julie and I decided to name our puppy, Henry.  Why you ask?  No reason in particular.  All the names that I liked, she didn't like.  And all the names she liked, I didn't like.  Our little pup is sweet and loving but he has a feisty spirit about him.  Before we became his owners, he was accidentally dropped off of a second story building by a four year old (who shall remain nameless).  If that isn't bad enough, he was also stolen three times in Jubilee.  Thankfully, he was able to run away and find his way back to the school each time!  That being said, we thought that he needed a strong sounding name.  I didn't know the meaning of the name Henry until after I named him: home ruler.  I might be in trouble! So without further ado, I would like to introduce you all to the newest addition!  Meet Henry!




He is cuddly and very playful.  He is already mostly potty trained, and he has mastered the treacherous steps up to our house (this is no lie, our steps are steep high...everyone complains).



When I take him for walks, nearly everyone we pass says, "Blan, ba'm yon kado ti chen an"  Which means, "White person, give me your little dog as a gift."  I have several responses to that request such as: No, I love him, too much and I would cry if I gave him to you. or  No, he's a Haitian dog and there are plenty more exactly like him so just go find a different one in the street.  People usually like the humor and stop bugging me after they hear my response.



Henry rides on the back of a motorcycle with me almost everyday to get to school and rides home on a tap-tap after school.  Yes, I'm serious.  And yes, everyone laughs at us.  I even have a little cardboard crate that April made for him in my classroom, although he's not really a fan of it.



My students love him and whenever I don't bring him with me, they always ask about him.

Henry hanging out with his mama in my classroom.
I fell asleep on the floor and he decided to snuggle up with me.  Thanks to Julie for the picture!

I still miss Jake and no other dog will ever take his place, but it sure is nice to have the company of Henry and he is earning his own little place in my heart!


1 comment:

  1. Cute puppy! We saw a lot of dogs while we were in Haiti and they DO all look alike! ha!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...