Tuesday, November 27, 2012

What do you love about me??

I started something new in my classes this week.  I decided that every Monday in each of my three English classes, I am going to pick a "Star of the Week".  Honoring each other, complimenting each other, and seeing the good in each other is not something that my students are good at.  I'm sure their parents do not practice those skills with them at home.  I want to build my students' self esteem and help teach them to see the good in each other.



So, each week the special person will be able to do things like be the line leader, erase the chalkboard, and get other special privileges throughout the week.  But to me, the most important aspect is the writing activity.

Monday morning, I explained to the students that we were going to make a classroom book about all the reasons we love our "Star of the Week".  At first they looked shocked.  I even heard some of the kids say, "I don't love him/her!"  After some explanation and encouragement, the kids seemed to be understanding the concept.  However, they were still struggling to come up with reasons that they love their peer.  I decided to give them some examples:

     "I want you to tell me some of the reasons that you love our Star of the Week: Claudia.  For example, I love each of you.  Each of you has special characteristics that I love." I enthusiastically told my students.
     "You do?!?!  You love us?" several of the kids asked me in surprise.
     "Of course I love you!" I replied.  "I tell you guys all the time that I love you!"
     "Well, why do you love me?" David asked with a disbelieving smile on his face.
      I smiled back and replied, "I love you because you are funny and you make me and the kids in our class laugh."  He beamed with pride.
     "Ok, ok!  Me!  Why do you love me, Katie?" asked Chelda.
     I smiled again.  "I love you, Chelda, because you are gentle and kind to all the other students in our class."
     "My turn!" shouted Ifocoeur with his hand in the air.  "Why do you love me, Katie?"
     My heart was about to burst as I saw how happy they were to hear the compliments.  I looked at Ifocoeur and said, "I love you because you are so trustworthy.  You always tell me the truth and you help others whenever you get the chance."



Hands continued to fly into the air with excitement as they waited to hear why I love them.  They were so proud and happy to hear that I could name specific reasons that I love each of them, and I was more than happy to explain those reasons to them.



The idea of telling kids why you love them might sound simple to most of you.  However, here in Haiti, it is huge.  I'm certain that most parents here don't tell their kids that they love them very often.  I think that giving my kids the opportunity to write nice things about each other is going to be way more meaningful to them than I had expected.  For the first time ever, I now look forward to Monday mornings so that I can hear my little ones speak words of love to each other.


1 comment:

  1. Such a great idea! Love seeing all those sweet smiles. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...