Saturday, December 1, 2012

Christmas Wish List

Up until about a week ago, I was planning on spending my Christmas here in Haiti.  But, then I thought about the fact that my best friend had a baby last month and my parents just moved to a new city.  I decided it will do my soul good to have a break from Jubilee and see my loved ones.

I will be in Pennsylvania from December 14th until December 30th.  I hope to see as many of you as possible during that time!  Before I return to Haiti, my goal is to fill my suitcases with things for my classroom and students.

This is my little classroom.  Just outside the picture to the left is the chalkboard.  It is small so I try to be very intentional in my planning so that I use my space wisely.  We only have electricity if we run a generator because the city power lines do not go out to Jubilee.  The light in my classroom comes from the window that you see in this picture.


In the states, my classroom would probably be comparable to the size of a school supply closet.  However, I am truly thankful for such a beautiful little room.  When I look around at the poverty in Jubilee and then see my wonderful little classroom, I feel SO blessed.


And, you really can't beat the view when you look outside my classroom door.


My students and I would be very blessed to have your help getting some new things for our class!  Below is a wish list of things that we would love for our little classroom.  If you would like to help us get any of these items, please email me first to make sure we don't get duplicate items and to arrange how to get the items to me before I return to Haiti.




Classroom Wish List

  • 3 metal cookie sheets (can be inexpensive because it will be used with magnet letters)
  • Leapfrog books to be used with the Tag device (click here to see what I mean)
  • Sidewalk chalk
  • 3 sets of headphones (preferably the old school kind that don't go inside your ears)
  • An inexpensive mp3 player or discman (for books audio books)
  • Dry erase board markers
  • Clothes pins
  • Magnetic letters (3 to 5 sets)
  • Science picture books for elementary age children (plants, animals, health, body, etc.)
  • Lollipops
  • AA and AAA Batteries
  • Cork board squares (that could be used to build my own bulletin board)
  • If you prefer, money would also be appreciated so that I can purchase other small items that are needed
I find myself constantly bandaging infected cuts and scrapes and putting antifungal cream on ringworm for my students.  It is amazing the difference that Neosporin makes here.  I would like to make a classroom first aid kit and would like to have the following items:
  • Antifungal cream (for ringworm)
  • Bandaids (various sizes)
  • Triple antibiotic ointment
  • Alcohol wipes
  • Digital Thermometer
  • Children's pain reliever
  • Children's cough medicine
  • Burn cream (since food is cooked over fire here, my kids frequently come to me with small burns)

Tcheventchina and Lorisena (she has cream on her face because I've been trying to treat her ringworm)

Tcheventchina, Tchentchina, and Lorisena

Ecclestiaste and Dieuvenson



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...