Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Update for the New Year

It has been nearly a month since I've blogged.  Needless to say, I've been extremely busy.  I flew out of Haiti on December 14th and spent two weeks with my family and friends.  During that time, I was driving all over the area visiting friends and family.  It was WONDERFUL.

I hadn't realized how badly I needed a break until the night before I flew out.  I had hit my breaking point.  Two weeks with friends, family, hot water, and good food were just the ticket.  I am feeling refreshed and ready to take on the next 6 months of school.  Thank you to the amazing people that made my trip to the states possible!

I spent New Year's Eve driving around Port-au-Prince and then eventually back to Gonavies.  I was exhausted from all the traveling, but I managed to stay up until midnight to ring in the new year.  On New Year's day, I had soup joumou (pumpkin soup).  It is the traditional food to make on January 1st, which is also Haitian Independence Day.  The center of town was FILLED with people for the celebration of their independence and 2013.  The president of Haiti came and spoke in the city.

In the afternoon, Grace and I went to Jubilee.  A friend of ours had invited us to learn how to make fresh juice.  She taught us to make a delicious juice using passion fruit, grapefruit, and sweet oranges.  We were so surprised when her husband came in an they announced that they wanted us to stay and share a meal with them.  So, Josh, Grace, and I sat at their table with them and enjoyed rice and bean sauce together.  It was a perfect start to the year.  Haitians and American friends together, laughing, eating, sharing stories, and talking about God.

School starts back up on the 7th so over the next few days I will be working to get myself back in gear and getting my classroom reorganized.  I can't wait to see what this year has in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...