Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Peaceful Jubilee


Today was a normal day in Jubilee, however, for the rest of the city of Gonaives, it was not.  While I was going about my business teaching my students, riots had broken out in many places all throughout the city.  

Haitians are not typically known to be timely or organized.  In fact I usually plan to arrive at least 30 minutes late to events knowing that it probably won't start on time.  But, when it comes to riots, they are masters of planning.  At promptly 9 AM today, road blocks, burning tires, and protesters began.  I am told the protesting was for multiple reasons.

From my peaceful classroom, I could see pillars of black smoke rising up above the city from the burning tires at nearly every major intersection.  At one point, one of our school staff passed my classroom and informed me, "I hear they are shooting people and the police have tear gas!"  

Several of my students hugged me with concern in their eyes.  "Don't go home today!" They said knowing that I live in the main part of the city where the trouble was.  "Stay here in Jubilee where it is safe!  You can sleep at my house tonight!"

After school, I drove one of my students home.  He doesn't live in Jubilee anymore and I wanted to make sure he arrived safely.  As I cautiously drove my moto avoiding the main roads, I could tell the riots were over, but I could still see the evidence of the day.  I drove through at least half a dozen still smoldering tire road blocks.  I dodged cinder blocks and overturned dumpsters that were in the middle of the roads.

And then, I smiled to myself.  Jubilee was peaceful and everything was completely "normal" there today.  Jubilee.  The place that most Haitians are afraid to go to because it is known for  danger and crime.  

A Haitian friend of mine said to me today, "Well, its over for today but there is no telling what people will do tomorrow."  But I know.  I'm claiming tomorrow as another peaceful day because I'll be in Jubilee, beautiful Jubilee.


And He who sits on the throne said, "Behold I am making all things new."
Revelation 21:5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...