Thursday, April 4, 2013

Ransomed Dog

If I were a teacher in the states, having my co-worker come into my classroom and say, "Katie, can you drive me on your motorcycle to the cemetery?  Some thugs stole my dog and they're holding him at ransom." ....would not be normal.  But here in Haiti, I've realized there is no such thing as normal.

So, at 8:30 AM this morning, I found myself driving April to the cemetery without a plan for getting her dog, Dexter, back.  Since we aren't in the business of taking bribes, I figured it might get a little interesting when got face to face with the dog-nappers.  

As we neared the cemetery, it wasn't hard to figure out where the stolen dog was being held.  Beaver and Kathy's truck was stopped in the road (complete with a group of visitors in the back).  Next to the truck, a group of at least 30 Haitians had gathered.  Before I even had time to bring my moto to a complete stop, April jumped off the back and walked right up to the thug that had stolen him.  He yelled at her to stop and not come closer to him, but without even missing a beat, she reached down, slipped Dex's collar right off of his neck, and scooped him up.  It happened so quickly and so smoothly that you would have thought she had rehearsed it a hundred times.  

The entire crowd roared with shouts and laughter as the man just stood in the street dumbfounded.  I don't think that ransom panned out how he had hoped.  By 9:00 AM, Dexter was back safe and sound and I was greeting my students good morning.  Just another day in Jubilee!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...