Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Startling

As I mentioned before, I teach an adult English class two evenings a week.  Tonight in class, my students got on the topic of dating, relationships, and fidelity.  As I've known for a long time, fidelity within in Haitian marriage is a very rare thing.  The majority of men and women in my class are married.  Out of curiosity, I asked them: What percentage of Haitians do you think are unfaithful in marriage?

I knew it was going to be a high percentage, but I was still startled.  Again, these are just guesses from my students, but they are Haitian adults so I trust their estimation.  My entire class agreed that they think at least 85% of Haitians are unfaithful to their partners.

From the outside looking in, many people think that Haiti has problems because it is poor.  However, from living in this country, I believe that Haiti is poor and has problems because the hearts of the people here are not following Jesus.  If infidelity is that common here, just imagine how common lying, cheating, and stealing must be.

The longer I am here in Haiti, the more I realize that the most important thing this country needs is Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...