Thursday, March 1, 2012

Zanmi'm yo

Many days, I am homesick, I miss my friends and family, and I feel like I'm not "accomplishing" much here in Haiti.  Then I pass a neighborhood friend walking in the street and see their face light up as we chit chat, and I am reminded that I have many loved ones here, too.

Tonight, I was walking home from the English class that I teach two nights a week.  I usually have a ride most of the way home, so I only have to walk a short distance to my house.  Along the way to my house, I always pass by a teenaged girl, Jenny, that I have become friends with; she is thirteen.  Her family lives along side the road in the most pitiful looking tent that I've ever seen because their house, like many others, was destroyed in the earthquake.  In the mornings, her mother sits along the side of the road selling bread, drinks, or bonbons.  In the evenings, Jenny and her younger brother take over selling their wares. 

If Jenny is out when I pass, I always stop to give her a hug and a kiss, and we usually talk for a little while.  Tonight, we ended up talking longer than normal.  She told me about her family, she told me about the time that someone snuck into their tent and robbed them, she told me about her fourteen year old brother that has been in prison since he was eleven, and she told me about her school.  Our conversation was interrupted a few times by people stopping to purchase a coke or a couronne.  Once, Jenny's brother left us to sprint down the road and retrieve the glass coke bottle after one of their customers was finished.  Jenny even offered me a komparet, which is a hard sweet tasting bread.  When I offered to pay her for it, she shook her hands at me and said, "No, no, take it!  Just eat it."  I've been trying to watch what I eat, but how could I possibly say no to this friend offering me some of her food?  Besides, it was really good.

Eventually, Jenny's mama came out of the tent (probably to see who Jenny was talking to this whole time).  When she saw me, she got a big smile and said, "Oh!  Jenny's friend!  I'm so happy to see you!  What are you doing out here by yourself?!"  Then, she promptly told Jenny to walk with me to my house to make sure that I got home safely.  As Jenny and I walked to my gate, I was beaming from ear to ear knowing they are my friends, knowing that they want to share what little they have with me, and knowing that they are concerned about my safety.

Tonight, I'm thankful that I can speak Creole.  I'm thankful that I can laugh and joke and small talk with my Haitian friends.  Tonight, I feel loved.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...