Wednesday, October 3, 2012

P-au-P Day Trip

Today I was able to take a day trip into Port-au-Prince to run some much needed errands, including cashing a check from my US bank account (which I cannot do in Gonaives).  It is a three hour drive to Port, so Julie offered to substitute in my class so that I could go.  After a month and a half in Gonaives, it was exciting to be able to buy groceries in a REAL grocery store.  Don't get me wrong, I love shopping in the outdoor market, but....let's be real, grocery stores are pretty great.  My purchases?  Jelly,  brownie mix, black beans, canned chicken, and some chocolate for Julie.  Quite the variety, right?

Mama Kathy had to do some business in Delmas 75 (my old neighborhood).  So, I decided that I would surprise Nickson and the students at TLC.  Kattiana, my translator/assistant from last year, answered the gate.  She was very surprised to see me, but Nickson and the students' reactions were the best.  I felt very loved today.  My kindergarteners (now 1st graders) were so excited that they hardly knew what to do with themselves!  It was my first time seeing them since June.  Needless to say, I got lots of hugs and kisses.  It was so fun to see how much they have grown, see their missing teeth,  see their new teeth, and see how much they have learned already.  My kiddos were VERY anxious to show me how well they can read.  I was impressed!  At the end of last year, they could tell me all the letter sounds.  Now, they are already reading 4 letter words!  Jeanel was the lowest student at the beginning of kindergarten.  Now, he is the best reader in his class!

I was sad that I was only able to stay for about an hour, but my heart is happy knowing how well the kids are all doing.  The school looked great.  The students looked happy, and Nickson is doing a wonderful job keeping it running smoothly.

I'm looking forward to a longer visit!

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully you can make another trip to Port in late December when we come for a visit!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...