Thursday, October 25, 2012

Rain, rain, rain

Until it was cloudy and rainy, I had no idea that a hurricane was on its way past Haiti.  Luckily for us, we only got the "tropical storm" effects of Sandy: rain, cooler temperatures, and lots of clouds.  In all honesty, it has been lovely weather.


On a typical day here, the sun is blazing hot and the temperatures are in the 90's.  So, when the clouds rolled in and the temperatures dropped into the 70's, we broke out our pants, long sleeves, blankets, and made hot chocolate.  Then, the rains started on Tuesday and they have not stopped yet.  In a city that doesn't get rain more than once a month, this is grand occasion.


Rainy days in Haiti are similar to snow days in Pennsylvania.  The streets are empty, businesses and schools close, and the students are unfocused and wild.  This morning, I rode to Jubilee on the back of a motorcycle, in the rain, holding a small puppy.  Thankfully, I had my purple rain boots on because my moto driver did not want to drive me all the way to the school because of the water and mud.



Despite the government announcing that schools were closed today, we pressed on and kept our school open.  Students arrived with soggy uniforms, but with smiles on their faces.  Only three of my thirteen kindergarteners came, but most of the other classes had at least half of the students.

It is still raining as I write this, and while I am thankful for this weather, I pray that flooding does not get worse.

One of the roads through Jubilee

This canal in Jubilee is probably about five feet deep, it was overflowing today



Water has been leaking from Julie's ceiling and from the door to the roof.  So, we have buckets and pots in various places around our house collecting water.  However, That's nothing compared to the many people who are living in low lying areas.





I've heard that the rain is supposed to continue through tomorrow, so please keep us in your prayers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...