Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Jesus Freak

"What will people think when they hear that I'm a Jesus freak?  What will people do when they find that it's true?  I don't really care if they label me a Jesus freak.  There ain't no disguising the truth
-DC Talk

Tonight I was labeled as a "Jesus Freak".  I won't lie, it kind of made my night.  I've recently started waitressing at a local restaurant in hopes of saving up money for my return trip to Haiti.  As much as I love working at my new job, it is quite the contrast from living and working in Haiti.  The majority of people that I work with at the restaurant, aren't Christians.  Typically when I am at work, I'm surrounded by cursing, crude jokes, sexual comments, and lots of talk of drinking/smoking/etc.  No one is ever happy to be at work, and they are always sure to let you know it.  This isn't the first time in my life that I've been in an environment like this, and I know it won't be the last.  But, I've decided to be the best example of a follower of Christ as possible.  I think I stick out like sore thumb. 

Instead of complaining, I smile and say that I'm thankful that I have a job.  When others complain about having to work late, I just smile and help them finish their tasks so they can leave sooner.  When others complain about not making many tips, I let them take the bigger tables.  Do I do this 100% of the time?  Ha, no!  I'm not perfect.  But, I try very hard.  It's fun being the only happy, upbeat person at work.  I think it confuses people :)

Tonight one of the cooks said, "Hey, so aren't you like one of those Jesus freaks or something like that?"  I laughed, and said, "Yeah I guess you could say that.  Why?"  He replied, "No reason I just wondered.  So, do you go to church every Sunday?  Do you only listen to Christian music and stuff?  I guess you aren't into smoking?  Have you ever done drugs?  Have you ever wanted to?"  And so the questions went for most of the night.  I know part of the time he was just poking fun at me, but I didn't care.  I was just happy that my faith was evident, and that I'm considered a "Jesus Freak".

1 Timothy 4:12 (The Message)
Teach believers with your life: by word, by demeanor, by love, by faith, and by integrity.

Colossians 3:23
“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.”

1 Peter 4:7-16 (The Message)
 7-11Everything in the world is about to be wrapped up, so take nothing for granted. Stay wide-awake in prayer. Most of all, love each other as if your life depended on it. Love makes up for practically anything. Be quick to give a meal to the hungry, a bed to the homeless—cheerfully. Be generous with the different things God gave you, passing them around so all get in on it: if words, let it be God's words; if help, let it be God's hearty help. That way, God's bright presence will be evident in everything through Jesus, and he'll get all the credit as the One mighty in everything—encores to the end of time. Oh, yes!
  12-13Friends, when life gets really difficult, don't jump to the conclusion that God isn't on the job. Instead, be glad that you are in the very thick of what Christ experienced. This is a spiritual refining process, with glory just around the corner.
 14-16If you're abused because of Christ, count yourself fortunate. It's the Spirit of God and his glory in you that brought you to the notice of others. If they're on you because you broke the law or disturbed the peace, that's a different matter. But if it's because you're a Christian, don't give it a second thought. Be proud of the distinguished status reflected in that name!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...