Sunday, August 14, 2011

Changes


I finally have had a few seconds to sit down and blog again. Since I got back to Haiti things have been pretty busy. As I mentioned before after my family left, I was down for a while. I guess you could even say that I still am. As long as I am keeping myself busy, I do alright, but it is the times that I am alone when I really miss my family. However I am slowly adjusting to being here on my own.

Friday morning, I did some laundry. I do not have the luxury of a washer or dryer here at my apartment, so I had to do it all by hand. After cleaning my apartment, I stopped by Dorothy's to use her sewing machine and say hello to the kids for a little while. When I got back to my apartment (which is on the same property as the school) Mr. Nickson, the principle, was here. He was sorting children's sneakers and doing an inventory. At the start of school all the students get clothing, shoes, and hygiene products. So, he asked that I help him. We spent several hours sorting sneakers and figuring out who will be getting each pair. Friday evening, I went to the church for prayer and worship with the church youth group (two of my friends lead the youth group). It was great to be surrounded by other believers and lifting each other up in prayer.

Yesterday morning, I took some time to clean my apartment. I've only been here a few days, but the amount of dust that collects in just a day or two is incredible. This is a VERY dusty country and we have not had any rain for a while (despite the fact that it is hurricane season). Just about the time that I finished cleaning, I saw that Dottie and Nickson were down at the school. So, I walked down to greet them and see if there was anything that I could do to help out. They were getting ready to distribute rice to students. So, I helped distribute rice and I got to meet many of the students that will be coming to TLC in just three short weeks. After the distribution was finished, I went with Nickson and Dottie to the grocery store to pick up a few more things. At 1 PM I picked up Dorothy's truck and drove with my friend Marc to pick up our other friend Keziah from the airport. That whole ordeal took several hours.

While I was at the airport waiting for her delayed flight to arrive, I got a phone call from Dorothy. She called to tell me that Emory Wilson (a missionary/friend in Gonaives) came to the house to pick up the twins, Frances and Francesca, to take them back to Gonaives. If you have been following me for a while, you know that Dorothy and I took Frances and Francesca in back at the beginning of November. They were three weeks old and only weighed 4 pounds. My mom was visiting at the time so she and I took on the responsibility of staying up all night to care for them and try and restore their health. In my heart, I have looked at them as my own little girls and given them as much love as possible. Needless to say, the twins have a VERY special place in my heart and I feel very connected to them. This whole time, I have known that one day when they were healthy enough they would have to return to live with their father in Gonaives (their mother died during labor). Typically when a baby leaves Dorothy's house, we have at least a couple of days notice to prepare. Not this time. They called just ten minutes in advance to tell Dorothy they would be stopping by to pick them up.

Luckily, after getting the twins, they were headed to the airport to pick someone up. So, I called Emory and met him in the airport parking lot to say goodbye to the twins. I know they have a HUGE transition ahead of them: going to live with their very poor father and grandmother who they do not even know. Please keep them in your prayers.

When I got back to Dorothy's house to drop off Keziah and the truck, it just did not seem the same without the twins there to greet me with their adorable little smiles. This week has been so difficult in so many ways. Saying goodbye to so many loved ones all at once.

As I sit here alone in my little apartment writing, tears are hard to hold back. It is quiet except for the hum of my little fan, and the boys at the orphanage next door. It is these times that I miss my family even more. Times when I am alone with only my thoughts to keep me company. I know that God never promises us that life will be easy. I knew when I decided to move to Haiti on my own that it would not be easy. But, now here I am living it. I've heard and I've been told many times that the only way to make your comfort zone expand is to step out of it. I know that is true, and I am doing my best each day, but I need a lot of prayer as I navigate life here on my own.



Photobucket
My Aunt Kat with Frances


Photobucket
 Kara with Francesca



Photobucket
Rosa wearing her beautiful dress made by Robin Bogler


Photobucket
Claudine wearing the adorable dress that Robin Bogler made


Photobucket
Abby with Rose Mitchel (she's SO SO BIG NOW!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...