Thursday, August 18, 2011

Classroom Preparations

I have been spending most of my "free time" working in my classroom trying to get everything ready for school.  When I saw my classroom for the first time, it looked as though it was already organized and ready to go.  However, upon further inspection and exploration, I've realized that the previous teacher was not very organized.

Photobucket


Most of the storage containers in the room are a hodge podge of different classroom materials and toys.  They do not seem to have any specific type of organization.  Not only that, but everything in my room is COVERED in thick dust.

I was excited to see that I have the largest classroom in the school (and in my opinion the best).  There is a downfall to my room, though.  It is not actually inside the school.  It is a glorified porch.  So, the downfall is that all of the dust from the road (which is directly outside my classroom) blows right into the room.  Basically anything that is exposed to the air will end up covered in dust.  That makes things a little bit difficult.


Photobucket

Cleaning the room is a big deal (even though it is rather time consuming).  The problem is that it is a never ending cycle.  Just one short hour after thoroughly cleaning something, I turn around and see that it is again covered in dust.  Sweeping the cement floor in the classroom feels like I am trying to sweep the dust off of a dirt floor.  It is never ending!

Photobucket
This GIANT pile of dust if from a 2 foot by 2 foot square area (no lie!)


Aside from sweeping up dust, I have also been scrubbing all of the plastic storage boxes in the room.  Everything is so dirty that I have to change the water in my bucket after just a few swipes.

Photobucket


Organizing the room is also a little overwhelming.  There is not much shelf space in the room.  So, I have to rely mostly on plastic or wooden boxes.

Photobucket



I am finally seeing a light at the end of the dusty tunnel.  I hope that after a few more days I will be all finished.  My only three "helpers" really don't do a whole lot, so, it has taken me a while.

Photobucket
"Major" the school watchdog and helper #1


Photobucket
Helper #2 one of many lizards


Photobucket
Helper #3 Giant Spider (which I would gladly do without)


I am crossing my fingers that by early next week I will be able to post pictures of my FINISHED classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...