Sunday, August 28, 2011

Disney Princesses and Tree Frogs

Saturday is the only day when I can "sleep in".  So, yesterday I decided to just take my time getting out of bed and enjoy my day off.  I woke up around 7:30 and then for the next 20 minutes, I just enjoyed relaxing in my bed with the breeze from the window blowing on me.  As I was laying there, I thought a heard a tapping at the door, but I was not expecting anyone.  Then, I heard it again only louder.  I got out of bed and walked over to my door.  Sure enough, there was a woman I had never seen before standing at the door knocking.  "Yes?" I said.  "Mr. Nickson told me I was supposed to come clean your house from 8AM until noon today."  I didn't know anything about it, but I opened the door and said, "Ok come on in."

Mr. Nickson and Dottie had already arranged for a woman to come and clean my apartment a couple times a week.  It sounds crazy considering how small my apartment is and the fact that I'm the only one living in it.  But, the way the dust and ants are here it really would help to have someone else clean it thoroughly.  We had talked about her coming on Wednesdays and maybe Saturdays but I didn't know when she was going to start.  Growing up my family never had a cleaning lady, so I didn't' really know the procedure.  Since my apartment is so small, it felt strange for both of us to be in there at the same time.  So, I carried my dirty laundry outside to wash it while she cleaned.  I don't have access to a washing machine here, which means I have to do it all by hand.

I spent the next three hours washing and hanging out laundry.  I didn't necessarily have a lot of clothes to wash, it is just very time consuming.  Especially because I had decided to wash my sheets as well.  It was my first time washing sheets by hand...let me tell ya...I did not enjoy it.

At noon, the cleaning lady was finished.  She did a wonderful job, and cleaned every square inch of the apartment.  It was not very dirty to begin with, but it looked great after she was finished.

In the late afternoon, I stopped at Dorothy's house to visit the kids. About the time that I was going to walk back to my apartment, a heavy thunderstorm started.  So, I decided rather than get soaked to the bone and walk home ankle deep in mud, I would wait until the storm passed.

I let the kids pick out a movie to watch while I made popcorn.  After watching a short Jay-Jay the Jet-plane movie, the girls talked Richardson into letting us watch a Disney Princess Sing-Along movie.  I'm a fan of Disney Princesses myself.  I had Rosa and Claudine on my lap as we watched and sang along to each song.  For each princess that sang, the kids would should out, "That's me!  That's me!"  or "That's Miss Katie!"  It was really funny.  The girls really got a good laugh when Snow White was singing.  They showed one of the seven dwarfs, and I quickly said, "That's Chacha!"  He was not impressed with my joke.

After the movie, the rain had slowed enough for me to walk home.  After getting home and drying off, I decided to go to bed.  I feel asleep quickly and peacefully.  Then around 2 AM, I woke up and thought that I heard something.  I told myself it was nothing, but then I heard it again.  A very quiet faint "tap" sound.  As I lay in bed trying to go back to sleep, something wet hit me on the face.  I quickly JUMPED out of bed and turned on the light in a split second.  I couldn't believe it....a green tree frog had just jumped on my face, onto the bed, and then down onto the floor.  Only in Haiti.

I spent the next 20 minutes trying to catch it to put it outside.  There was no way I was going back to sleep with it in the house after it just jumped on my face!  Let me tell you, tree frogs can really jump!  He could travel about three feet in one jump.  Eventually he hopped onto the rug next to my bed.  So, I slowly dragged it out the door and onto the porch where I released him.

As funny as it is telling the story, I was not amused at the time.  I have been having some trouble sleeping at night.  So, prayers for that would be greatly appreciated!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...