Friday, September 24, 2010

Visitors...A crazy day!

Today was CRAZY!  In the morning I taught the boys (Mich and Chacha) what a garden is.  I explained to them that I would like to make a garden for Miss Dorothy.  We got a shovel and a trowel and went to work.  For their age, Mich and Richardson are great helpers.  They love to help work.  Dyana eagerly joined in as well.  Dorothy has never been able to do much in the “yard”.  She has one area where she burns trash, but the rest is vacant, it just needs some work.  There was lots of trash to get out of the ground.  We dug up bottles, tin cans, and scraps of metal.  The boys had fun digging a big long piece of thick wire out of the ground.  I think when some men made a drainage ditch for Dorothy, they didn't bother to clean up after themselves, so we had lots to do.  It is also very rocky so we started making a pile of large rocks to get rid of.  While we were working, Chacha told me he is going to marry me when he grows up.  He said if he doesn't marry me, he will marry Dorothy and then Mich can marry me.  They are too funny!

After about an hour, a group of Canadians came to the house.  They thought that arrangements had been made for them to come for the day and help us here, but, we had no idea they were coming.  It kind of threw a wrench in all of our plans for the day.  There were about ten people in their group, and they wanted to play with the babies.  Needless to say, it was really hectic.  There were ten visitors, Dorothy and me, five nannies, the cook, two men working on the kitchen sink, and 28 kids!!  I spent most of the day running around playing hostess because Dorothy had other things to do and had to leave for a while.  The kids got lots of attention, but it was a very full house!

While they were waiting for their ride to get here, a huge storm came through.  It wasn't a tropical storm; it just came out of nowhere.  It was actually a little scary because Dorothy said she never saw one like it before.  At one point, we started to move everyone to the basement because it was so windy, but the wind slowed down.  It continued to rain for quite sometime.  It was actually really nice because it cooled everything down.  Dorothy and I were really disappointed though because the wind knocked down all of the banana trees in the yard.  One had lots of bananas on it so we are hoping we can save them and let them ripen inside.

Once everything settled down, Dorothy and I were able to unwind and relax up on the roof.  It was nice to talk and just enjoy the cool drizzle and breeze.  Because it was so insane here all day, I missed breakfast and lunch.  So Dorothy and I were pretty hungry.  We scrounged up some bread, frozen sauce, and spaghetti...it was a great feast.  I think it was the best meal I've had since I got here...Thank you God for such a great end to a stressful and long day!

As a side note, last night I was in Dorothy's room to plug into the internet (the wireless router has not been working).  She said, “Aw, I just saw the cutest little brown mouse scurry under my bathroom door!”  (I realize to everyone at home that probably sounds crazy, but here we share the house with lots of other critters...its just the way it is here.)  So, we chuckled a little because neither of the “watch dogs” noticed it go past them.  A few minutes passed, and I suddenly jumped and yelled.  I looked to the ground because it felt like I was just bitten.  What do you know?  That “cute” little mouse was next to my foot and scurrying away under Dorothy's bed.  That little bugger bit me on the toe for no good reason!  I never knew of an aggressive mouse before!  From now on I'm blogging with my feet up off the floor!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie~

    i miss you we are praying for you-julia

    keep your feet up :-) Ang

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...