Thursday, September 30, 2010

Exhausted!

Today was another great day in Haiti, although I'm exhausted.  Poor little Mich is still sick with a toothache, and we haven't been able to find a dentist for him.  He basically laid around most of the day and slept.  Dorothy put a warm compress on his cheek and started him on some antibiotics.  I think he started feeling a little better tonight because he was running around with a blanket over his head terrorizing the girls.

In the morning, I got out the dry erase boards to draw and write with the kids.  They are nice to use because then we don't waste any paper, and the kids have lots of fun with them.  I was helping Rosa to learn to write her name.  I wrote it several times and then she traced it.  Eventually, she started trying to write it herself.  I was so excited.  Of course she got her R and s backwards, but it was progress!  Claudine preferred to scribble rather than practice her name...another day I guess!  They both start school on Monday along with Johnny and Michelove.

While the big kids were having "French school" with Miss Audette on the porch, I spent the majority of the day downstairs with the 2 and 3 year olds.  Now, that is exhausting!!  There are 17 kids downstairs and they all want my undivided attention.  I usually end up with a child sitting or hanging off any body part they can get to.  Dorothy and I jokingly started calling the downstairs "The Lions' Den" today, ha!  Sometime next month, Mackendy, Sonson, and Frantzo will all start school for the handicapped so that will make things a little easier down there.  Dorothy is also trying to get Lovensky enrolled in school too.  He will turn 3 a week after it starts so hopefully he can get in to pre-k.  Emanuel is 4 years old and deaf.  He is quite the terror, which Dorothy tells me is completely normal for a deaf child.  I don't really have experience with deaf children, but Dorothy's son is deaf so she does.  He is constantly pulling, pushing, and grabbing all the other children.  I've been trying to teach him a couple signs (especially "no") but he never sits still enough to look at me.  Sometime soon he is supposed to be going with a Pastor who works specifically with deaf children in Goniaves.  That will also make things much easier down in the "Lions' Den".

Spending time downstairs does help me to learn Creole much faster because none of them speak English.  I've learned all the important words for working with 2 year olds:  get down, don't do that, sit down, silence, stand up, and of course "I love you."  They are a handful, but they really need the attention.  I'm hoping once the big kids start school, I can bring a couple little ones upstairs at a time and do some preschool activities with them.

I realized today that if I want to stay rested, happy, and mentally sane for the next three months, I am going to have to start taking a little time for myself here and there.  Living with this many kids makes it hard to find that alone time.  I noticed that Dorothy will sneak off to her room from time to time..now I know why.

I will be teaching Sunday school at Dorothy's church during my time here.  She volunteered to teach and then realized that she is too busy to find the time.  So, I offered to take her place.  I've never taught Sunday school before, but I am a teacher.  So, I think Sunday morning will be my first time driving in Haiti.  That is one of the most terrifying things, ha!  If you have ever been to Haiti, you know why.  Not only are the roads bad, but the traffic is insane.  There are no stop signs and it seems like no rules.  Thankfully, the church is not far from Dorothy's so it will be a good first experience (I hope).  I think she is excited for me to start driving so that I can take Chacha to school or run other quick errands for her.  She may be excited, but I'm not sure if I am!

I am hoping to be able to do some physical therapy with Youvendjii.  He is the newest addition to the family here.  He came with TB, sickle cell anemia, and malnutrition.  He spent three weeks in the hospital and had 2 blood transfusions.  He was extremely weak.  He is doing much better now and going to the hospital for TB treatment, but he is two and a half years old and cannot walk or crawl.  He scoots around on his bottom using his legs.  Here are a few pictures of him:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...