Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Puppy Love

The children are learning a lot from my new baby, Jake. I often talk about how I found Jake in the middle of the road all alone with no one to care for him. I mention that his mommy and daddy didn't take care of him and did not want him. I tell the kids that some people might have even tried to hurt him, but that we should never try to hurt others. I tell the children that I loved Jake as soon as I saw him and I brought him home with me so that I could care for him. I tell them that even though some people don't love him, God does and I do, too. I tell the kids that he is sick and hurt now, but one day he will be big, strong, and very smart.

May of our children are or once were a lot like Jake: orphans, abandoned, neglected, unwanted, sick, or unloved. Some of our children push those memories from their minds, some of our children have trust issues, some of our children don't like to see what they once looked like, some of our children shy away from affection. When I talk to them about Jake, I can see shimmers of understanding in their eyes. That they too were once sick, hurt, left alone, or unwanted by their family but now they are loved by a special kind of family here at our house.

With Jake's help, the kids are learning that when we see someone in need, it is our job to take care of them and to love them. They are learning how to provide and care for his needs. They are learning to be gentle, patient and forgiving. They are learning how to apologize for wrong-doings. They are learning that despite what their culture teaches, God created and loves ALL creatures.

Chacha loves Jake!

Just two guys hangin' out


Nala (half Great Dane half Haitian mutt) checking out our newest addition.  She looks like a horse next to him!
The kids giving Jake a bath




I woke up to find that he had dragged everything he could find on the floor into his bed (coin container, syringe, and Chacha's school paper)

I'm going to miss my little guy!


**A side note, please say some extra prayers for me tomorrow as I have to say goodbye to all the kids. I'm really dreading it. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...