Friday, October 1, 2010

Friday update

In Haiti...

my days start with the sound of crying babies and little boys playing outside my bedroom window.
I eat lots of rice and beans.
Four wheel drive is a necessity.
Communication can be difficult.
Electricity is a luxury.
I learn to live with all kinds of critters.
I am constantly sweating and covered in dirt and dust.
Chocolate makes a lot of things better.
I realize how incredible bug spray is.
I never know what each day might bring.
Everything is an adventure.
Roads are rough and drivers are crazy.
A sense of humor is a necessity.
A few minutes of quiet is such a blessing.
I get a million hugs and kisses.
I am happy.
I am exhausted.
I get to see learning and growth take place every day.
I learn to appreciate simple things.
I learn to see beauty where others cannot.
I am surrounded by loving happy children.
I see the world in a different light.
I count EVERY blessing.
There are many children not only hungry for food, but also love.
I am filled with joy.
I see Jesus in the faces of the poor.
I get to see how big God really is.
I get to take part in something bigger than me.
I get to share God's love.
I am loved and blessed.

Today I spent some time in the morning looking over some Sunday school materials. Then, I spent an hour or so downstairs in “The Lion's Den”. Every time that I go downstairs,Guerdline races over to me and wants to be picked up. She doesn't let me put her down either! She is so sweet, but if anyone else tries to steal her place on my lap, she is not happy! Around 10am, Dorothy and I went to Megamart for rice and beans. Boy, do we go through the rice and beans here!

This is little Guerdline.  She's precious, but she knows how to hold her own around the big boys.

After we finished shopping, we had lunch. Then, I spent the rest of the afternoon playing with the older kids. I got out some construction paper, markers, scissors, and glue sticks. I don't think Rosa and Claudine ever used glue or scissors before...that was interesting, ha! Try explaining what glue is to two 5 year olds who don't speak your language. Rosa eventually caught on, but Claudine kept trying to color with the glue stick because it was purple. Oh well, they had fun! Later, we got out the play-doh. That is always a crowd pleaser here. Mich and Chacha wanted to work in the “garden” before dinner. I'm not much of a gardener. Right now, we (mostly me) are trying to dig out some of the trash that is littering the ground and get rid of the big rocks. That may take all 3 months considering how rocky the ground is here! The soil here seems like it has a lot of clay in it. I really don't know, but I'll do my best with what we've got. 

Our wireless router is finally working again. It's so nice to be able to use my computer in my own room. Up until now, I had to plug my computer in Dorothy's room. Please pray for Mich. He is still in pain from his tooth. We have him on antibiotics now, and it really seems to be helping. Talk about a little boy who has missed out on a lot of love in his life. I told him (in Creole) that I love him. Every day since then, he has asked me (in his little Haitian accent), “Miss Katie, what was it that you said to me the other day? How do you know that you love me? Did someone tell you that? What did you say again? Can you please tell me what you said again?” So I say to him, “Mwen renmen ou.” and he says, “Miss Katie, can you say that louder? What did you say? Why did you say that? You love me?” Dorothy thinks that he may be a little bit mentally retarded because of the severe malnutrition and poor care for most of his life. I do my best to encourage him and build his self esteem whenever I can. I think what he really needs is a good male role model in his life and lots of love.


I did laundry today.  That was a small adventure in itself  :)

This is where we do laundry.  We have to fill the washing machine with a hose.

1 comment:

  1. Katie, This post was heart wrenching...crying half way through your decription of "a day"...I love you so very much and pray for a great weekend for you and Mich! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...