Monday, November 29, 2010

An Eerie Calm....

Today was odd.  It was almost as if people were on edge like the calm before a storm.  Streets were empty, tap taps not running, and businesses closed.  Some of our nannies called asking for a ride to work because they could not find a tap-tap to get here.  A few of our other nannies had to walk the entire way (several miles in heat, rough terrain, and poor shoes).

While we were out of the house, we did not see any signs of violence or rioting.  We had to take some nannies home after dinner, and it was already dark out.  As we were driving down Delmas, a main road where we here there were demonstrations yesterday, I think Dorothy and I were both a little on edge and unsure of what to expect.  We got a little worried when we saw large flames up ahead, but it turned out to be a dumpster of burning trash.  We saw no large crowds or violence.  In fact, everything seems to be the same as usual in our neck of the woods.

Dorothy has been reading articles and trying to keep up with the latest news on the electoral situation.  She said that we may hear as early as December 5th who the new president will be.  The tension among the citizens is expected to get worse this coming month.

Personally, I know that many of our nannies fear that Jude Celestin will win and the situation in Haiti will only get worse.  The corruption is no secret, and I think people are just on edge waiting to see what the results will be.  Lucianne told me that she has heard of rioting and shooting in the downtown area.  Pray for peace.


I hate to have only depressing blog posts when I am living with so many joyful children.  School has been out for quite a few days now.  So, I have been pretty busy entertaining our 8 school aged kids.  Personally, I am looking forward to it starting back up (hopefully tomorrow).  I love the kids, but we do have 35...it is nice to get a small break for part of the day.

I played with legos, danced with Chacha, Mich, and Johnny to Christmas music, colored, and built pop-sickle stick houses.  At one point in the morning, I noticed Jesula, a nanny, looking at a children's Bible.  I asked her if she wants to learn to read and speak English.  She laughed and said yes.  She also told me that after she has her baby (she is due in December or January) that she wants to go to school to learn English.  So, I sat down with her.  She was reading stories about Moses.  I was VERY impressed to hear her trying to read.  She was much better than I expected.  She was using her background knowledge of Bible stories, the pictures in the book, and the words to figure out the meaning.  So, I read aloud with her helping with pronunciation and explaining the meaning of the words in Creole.  Not only did I help her to learn, but she helped me learn some more Creole in the meantime.  The learning was not what I enjoyed most though.  I was so happy to be able to bond with her.  I love being able to show the nannies that I love and care about them and that I want to help them to be successful.  I could see in her eyes that she was very appreciative of my help and glad to see that I took the time just for her.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...