Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My many names

I feel more and more like a mother with each passing day.  I can recognize many of the children by hearing their cries from another room, I know their mannerisms and sounds, and I know when they call my name.

In this house, I have many names.  To the nannies I am either "Miss Katie" or "Miss Kelly" (because they can't pronounce Katie correctly) with the "Miss" pronounced as Meese.  To Wilson, I am kuh-lay.  To Gerdline my name is E-A-E.  To Rosa and Claudine my name often varies, but usually I am Miss Kiddy.  To Mich, I am "Silly girl".  To Johnny I am Nee-Ko-Lee.  The list goes on and on.  Each time I hear my name, regardless of how it is said, it brings a smile to my face and joy to my heart.

The children make me feel like a queen when I go downstairs to see them.  As soon as my feet hit the stairs, I hear an eruption of voices calling my name and reaching out for hugs, kisses, and love.  When I go to say goodnight, the children reach for me from their beds for goodnight hugs and kisses.  As I squint through the darkness, I can see their big smiles as I tell them that I love them, and as I go back upstairs to my own room, they all wave and shout, "Bye bye, Miss Katie."  They sure do know how to make a person feel loved.  I've said it before, and I will say it again:  I am blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...