Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Miss Katie, ou malad?

I've spent the majority of the past three or four days in my room sleeping/resting and keeping myself quarantined.  Whatever Haitian flu I've had basically wiped me out.  Yesterday, our power went out in the afternoon and did not come on until over twenty-four hours later.  Although that is not uncommon here, it is still an inconvenience.  It is especially unpleasant when you have a high fever, hot sunny weather, and can't turn on fans.  Thank God that we only have cold showers here...I really appreciated them this week.

I have to say, this is a difficult place to be sick.  It is rarely ever quiet and someone is constantly knocking on my door for something.  I think that I have really been confusing the kids (and probably the nannies too).  As soon as I tell one child that I'm sick, it spreads like wildfire throughout the house.  Each time I would leave my room to get a drink or check that everything was okay, the kids and nannies would all ask, "Are you better?  Are you still sick?  Do you have a fever?  Does your head hurt?"  I would explain to them that I was feeling a LITTLE bit better, but I was still sick.  I probably really confused them when I would try and help out in the kitchen or tidy up the house only to get worn out within an hour.  The kids just don't get the concept of "feeling a little better at the moment but still sick".  The kids must have asked me twenty times a day, "Miss Katie, do you have a fever?"  After I would respond, "Yes, now let me rest!"  They would always have to feel my head first to make sure I wasn't lying.

Today, I thought that I was finally better.  I woke up with only a mild fever and generally feeling much better, and I expected it to be gone by the afternoon.  So, I made the mistake of telling the kids that I was better.  Throughout the day, I played with the kids a little, helped out in the kitchen, and even went to a prayer meeting down the street.   However, By late afternoon I felt terrible again and my fever was over 101.  Of course, that really threw the kids off and they didn't believe that I was still sick.  The only way that I could get them to give me some peace to rest was to let them into my room while I took a nap.  Picture this if you can: me curled up in a ball with a cold compress on my face, five children huddled around my tiny net-book computer watching "Despicable Me", and two dogs all on one twin sized bed!  Not exactly the most restful situation.  And I wondered why it has been taking me so many days to get over this bug?

Thank you, God for children, nannies, and animals that love me, but PLEASE help me to get some rest!  :)

Other news, there was a small earthquake here sometime around 4AM this morning.  It did not wake me up, and I didn't even realize there had been one until the nannies told me later in the day.  Most of the nannies said that it really shook their houses pretty bad and they were scared.  One nanny, Leonne, was afraid because she lives on the bottom floor of a building.  So, she got up and tried to get outside, but was knocked over (or tripped and fell...I'm not totally sure) and she scraped her arms and hands up.  I'm just glad that it was very minor!

PS, thank you so much to all of you who have been praying for me!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...