Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Dad's here!

Lately, I've felt the need to start off each blog post by apologizing for not writing much lately.  I have really been slacking in keeping everyone up to date with what has been going on in our lives here.  Being sick, having visitors here for most of the past three weeks, and trying to keep up with the kids does make it hard to find time to blog.

As most of you may already know, my dad, pastor, and pastor's wife arrived in PAP yesterday (which already seems so long ago, ha).  I'm sure you can imagine the excitement and craziness that has been going on here!  As I expected, the kids LOVE my dad (and Mark and Lori, too, of course).  I knew that my dad would be great with the boys, and he has been.  I think he had three or four kids hanging off him today while he chased Mich and Chacha around the house (Chacha was wearing a bear costume the entire time).  Mich has already started asking if he can go home and live with Dad.  My mom sent her old MP3 player along already filled with lots of christian music for Mich.  Mich LOVES music...I mean LOVES music.  So, he has been using his MP3 player non-stop since he got it yesterday.  Being the wonderful boy that he is, five minutes after using it, he shared and let Chacha have a turn.  Mich has such a caring and giving heart.

Mark and Lori brought so many awesome things for us!!  Thank you Higher Hope!!!  We are stocked up on children's vitamins, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, formula, hand soap, bar soap, dish soap (lots and lots of soap, ha), mac and cheese, and tons of other goodies.  Personally, I can't wait to use the inflatable pool that they brought for the kids!  They are going to go wild when they see it.

So, a quick recap of their time here so far:

Yesterday is already a blur of airport craziness, luggage, unpacking, and introductions around the house.  Today, Mark and Dad got right to work re-wiring our new dryer.  Last week it had flames shooting out the back.  I'm no expert, but I don't think that's normal, ha!  They had it figured out, fixed, and running in no time.  They even did a victory dance afterward.  Yes, Mom.  Dad really did his weird/embarrassing dance moves in front of Mark, Lori and the kids.  :)  It took less than 3 seconds for Chacha to pick them up and start dancing, too.

After they tackled the dryer issue, they were harassing me about needing to actually give them a "challenge".  So, we checked out a couple leaky pipes/water hoses and a broken screen door.  Then, we made a hardware store run.  As I've written countless times, going anywhere here is always a huge production.  So, we left for the hardware store a little after 10 AM and returned to the house at 1PM.  It took so long because while we were out, we had to pick up children at school, got stuck in traffic, gave some Haitians a ride, etc, etc.  After getting home from the hardware store, we had to turn around a couple hours later and go grocery shopping which took a couple hours.  Just a typical day here, really.

Out of everything that has happen since they all landed in Haiti, the most amazing thing has been watching Rosa. My Dad has won over all the kids with chocolate, bubbles, and rough housing, but watching Rosa interact with him almost brings tears to my eyes.  This is a girl who has come so far in the six months since I've moved here.  Click here and here to read a little about her history.  A few short months ago she would hide in a corner when visitors came, and one wrong glance or scolding could make her fall to pieces.  Today, she was clinging to my Dad's back giggling uncontrollably.  She was begging him to keep holding her, and I saw joy and trust in her eyes.  Yes, there is still pain in her eyes, too.  She is a five year old girl that has been through more things than I can even fathom.  But, seeing her trust, step out, and allow herself to just be a little girl was truly beautiful.  God is so good.  I cannot tell you how many times I have prayed over that precious child with tears in my eyes asking for God to heal the pain in her life, allow her to trust, allow her to experience joy, and allow her to feel truly loved.  Today, I realized that a miracle has taken place right in front of my eyes.  God has been healing Rosa by His powerful love.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie,
    I'm contacting you to find out how to send a financial donation to the orphanage. I'm the Kids' Coordinator at Freedom Fellowship, and we were excited and supportive of Lauren S. going to Haiti! We shared your blog with some pictures of the children with our 1-4th grade class, and they donated their incentive "Freedom Bucks" towards your ministry with the intent that Freedom Fellowship would match their "bucks" with real dollars! Our Kids gave 374.00! and we would like to send it your way! Please let me know how we can do that! Blessings to you and the beautiful little lives in Haiti! Jessica Neiman
    Please email me at jessicasneiman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog post! Love to read about what is going on in Haiti! Thanks for sharing!


    http://www.mannaforhaiti.com
    http://www.mfhcm.org

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...