Sunday, December 18, 2011

Lunch Date

Today after church, two Haitian girls from our youth group asked if they could come over for lunch after church.  Their names are Djaminta (15 years old) and Tabita (17 years old), and they are sisters.  I was thrilled because I had just been thinking about how I wanted to get to know the girls in the youth group better.  However since I am leaving the country Friday, I don't have much food at my house right now.  I suggested that I treat them to Epid'or instead.

Epid'or is kind of the Haitian equivalent of a fast food-ish restaurant.  They serve pizza, sandwiches, Haitian food, ice cream and other desserts.  So, the girls and I caught a tap-tap and headed to Epid'or.  We were there for almost two hours just eating, hanging out, and talking.  It was nice to spend some time with them outside of the youth group setting.  They are pretty shy and both speak basic English, so our conversations were a mixture of English and Creole.  It was fun getting to know them better and talking about Jesus.  They shared some of their desires for worship and outreach within the youth group.  It was very encouraging to hear that what they are learning from church and youth group is carrying over into their everyday life.

My time with them was nothing exciting or out of the ordinary, but I was really blessed.  I thank God for the opportunity to spend time with the girls, and I am excited to continue to get to know them better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...