Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas time is here!

I know that most of you in the states are probably gearing up for Christmas.  Although it is strange for me to be somewhere so warm during Christmas time, we are also getting into the Christmas spirit here in Haiti.  It is hard for me to grasp the fact that it is December since the weather is still in the high 80's and low 90's.  Where I come from at this time of year it is usually ice cold!  I was here in Haiti last December, too.  However, I flew back to the states the second week of December.  This year, I will not be flying home for Christmas until December 23rd.

My church here has the advent wreath up and a few poinsettias.  Some of the larger stores here in Port even put up Christmas lights and Christmas trees.  For me nothing beats Christmas in PA, but it is kind of fun experiencing the "Christmas season" here in Haiti.  I admit, I like being away from the "shop, shop, shop, buy, buy, buy" frenzy in the states.

Speaking of shopping, Mr. Nickson has been working hard for the past two weeks doing lots of Christmas shopping for our students.  The students' sponsors donate money towards Christmas gifts.  So, Mr. Nickson has the big job of finding and purchasing gifts for all 87 students.  That would be an overwhelming undertaking even in the states, but it is even more difficult here in Haiti!  Each of the students get one or two small toys, flip flops, some toiletries, and a nice outfit (dress/skirt for the girls and dress pants and button down shirt for the boys).

From what I am told, in previous years the gifts were put into a gift bag for each student.  However, this year the price of gift bags has gone up.  Nickson decided that it would be most cost efficient for us to gift wrap ALL the gifts!  I think it will be more exciting for the students to unwrap multiple gifts, but that means LOTS of gift wrapping for me!

If I had to wrap 100 gifts by myself, I would be doing that everyday from now until Christmas.  So, I invited a bunch of my American friends over after church for a "gift wrapping party".  Nine of my friends came over and we ate brownies, listened to Christmas music, and wrapped gifts.  With so many people helping, we wrapped over 100 gifts in about one hour!  Nickson is not finished shopping yet, so there is still a lot more to go.  But, I couldn't be more thankful to my friends for helping out!





Mr. Dieusel put the Christmas tree up today, the gifts are wrapped, and the students are singing Christmas songs...I'd say its beginning to look a lot like Christmas here in Haiti!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...