Friday, December 23, 2011

Tis the season to be...BUSY!

A few months ago, the thought of being in Haiti for the Christmas season made me a little sad.  To me, Christmas is about being with family.  But, at the time I guess I just didn't really think about the fact that I have family here in Haiti now.  I have actually really loved being here in Haiti for the Christmas season.  It is definitely different than the cold PA winters, but it has been awesome and it is just as exciting here.  There is something to be said for wearing shorts and a T-shirt two days before Christmas.  I've gotten to go to all kids of Christmas gatherings and Christmas parties.  I would not trade the time I've had here for anything.  In fact, I think I really like the idea of flying home on the 23rd.  That way, I get to be here for all the Haiti Christmas activities and I still get to be with my family, too.

The past week  month has been crazy to say the least.  Christmas preparations for the school were very overwhelming.  When school ended on Monday after our two days of Christmas parties, I thought that I would be bored during the three and a half days off before I fly to the states.  Ha, think again!

On Tuesday of this week, Mr. Nickson and I had to drive to Fond Parisien to pick up rice.  Each month, our school gets donated rice from "Feed My Starving Children" to distribute and cook for our students.  Since there was no school on Tuesday, I was able to go along with Nickson.

Before we left Port-au-Prince, Nickson showed me where I could but "the best patay in all of Haiti".  Patay is a very popular and very delicious Haitian food that can be bought on the streets.  The place that we got our patay was just a sweet little woman cooking on a street corner over a charcoal fire.  Patay is made by putting various ingredients inside of dough and then frying it.  The patay that we got had tomato, chicken, and pikliz (a popular Haitian side dish that is similar to coleslaw but usually very spicy).




After getting our patay, it was a long drive to Fond Parisien.  Without traffic you could probably get there in an hour.  However with all the Haitian traffic, it took us from 7:30 AM until 12:30 PM to get there, pick up the rice, and get back.

After we were all finished with the rice, Dorothy asked me to use her truck to drive her to the grocery store in Petionville.  We planned to have a pizza night with the older kids at her house.  After we finished shopping, I went to her house.  Dorothy, the kids, and I spent the evening making personal pan pizzas, salad, and brownies.  It was a special treat for the kids and they LOVED it!

On Wednesday, I spent a few hours in the morning volunteering in the office at my church just doing some organizing.  Then in the afternoon, I was invited to spend the afternoon baking for Christmas with some friends and sleepover at their house.

Thursday morning I came back to my house to spend a little time tidying up to get ready to go to the states.  I ran a few errands in the neighborhood and visited a friend at a girls' orphanage.  Around lunchtime, I went to Dorothy's house to help get ready for her Christmas party.  The party was SO much fun and deserves it's own separate blog post.

This morning, Nickson stopped by my house very early.  He is FLYING TO THE US TODAY!  It is his first trip to the United States and he will be traveling to several different states during the next two weeks.  He will be visiting the TLC board members and speaking at several different churches.  He was absolutely beaming this morning.  I don't think I've seen a grown man so excited before!  Please keep him in your prayers right now (and for the next two weeks) as he is flying alone right now and it is his first time on a plane!

I will be spending today getting my things packed.  I am headed to the airport this afternoon and my flight leaves at 4:30 PM.  Say an extra prayer for my dad.  He will be picking me up in New York City at about 9 PM....two days before Christmas....Technically, I won't actually get home until Christmas Eve!  I'm sure this is going to be really fun, ha!  I will be home for almost two weeks, and contrary to what most people think, I do not have a lot of plans made.  So, please call me if you want to hang out while I am home!

Since I have been so busy, I have not had the time to sit down and write blog posts about the last day of school and Dorothy's Christmas party.  But, I promise they will come soon!

I pray that you all have a safe, joyful, and blessed Christmas!  Love you all!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...