Sunday, February 19, 2012

Haitian Pikliz

On a whim, I decided to make Haitian pikliz this weekend.  Pikliz is similar to coleslaw, but it is spicy and in my opinion much better than coleslaw.  You usually don't eat pikliz by itself.  Typically, it is served with banan peze (fried plantans).  However, I was not ambitious enough to make the banan and I like it on crackers just as much.  So, I'm saving the banan for another day!

I've eaten pikliz enough times and I've seen women making it enough times that I was pretty sure I knew the ingredients that were needed.  But just to be sure, Nickson's wife, Sophie, told me what I should buy.  I just eyeballed the amounts as I was making it.

Ingredients (amounts are just estimates - adjust to your liking):

  • 2 cups white vinegar
  • salt to taste
  • pepper to taste (preferably freshly ground)
  • 1/2 a head of cabbage
  • 2 onions
  • 8 scotch bonnet hot peppers (but I'm sure others will do if you cannot find these)
  • 2 large carrots



Finely slice/shred cabbage, carrots, and onions and mix together in a large mixing bowl.   Cut up 8 scotch bonnet peppers and mix in with other ingredients.  Add more or less peppers depending on how spicy you would like your pikliz.  Beware, these peppers are very HOT and you hands will burn..do not touch your eyes after cutting them!  I like spice, so 8 peppers was perfect for me.  However, most people would probably like less spice.



Next, add in roughly 2 or 2.5 cups of white vinegar and salt n' pepper to taste.  Mix and refrigerate.  For best taste, wait 24 hours before eating.


Bon appetit! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this Katie! We ate this when we came to Haiti in January and my husband loved it! Can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...