Monday, February 13, 2012

Residence Permit

Haiti is finally cracking down on the requirements for foreigners.  Since I moved here, I have not had to do any official paper work of any kind.  I just simply bought a flight ticket, showed them my passport, and moved here.

Since I've been here it has been the "rule" that if you stay longer than 90 days in Haiti, you need to get a permanent residence visa.  However, no one has been enforcing that "rule" and most foreigners that I know here in Haiti do not have their visas.

Just this month, the government announced that they will be enforcing this rule from here on out.  While that is kind of a pain for many foreigners, I think it is a good sign.  I think it shows organization and progress within the government.

With all that being said, I have to start getting my paper work together to apply for my permis de sejour.  While most of the required documents are not very difficult to get in theory, I know that here in Haiti it will take a while for me to get all of this done.  The requirements are:

1. A written letter to immigration requesting an application (in French)
2. A photocopy of my passport
3. A letter from my employer here in Haiti (in French)
4. A medical certificate less than 30 days old
5. A copy of my passport photo and a color photo of myself
6. A photocopy of my boarding pass from my last entry into Haiti
7. A photocopy of my birth certificate with french translation
8. A bank statement from a bank in Haiti
9. A criminal record check
10. A sum of 5,000 gourdes aka about $125 USD

I have been gathering all of my paperwork and preparing to get documents translated into French.  Today, I went to Unibank with Nickson to open my very own Haitian bank account!  While I don't really plan to use it, I have to have it in order to get my permis de sejour.  For some reason, having a bank account here makes me feel so committed and official, ha!  It is a little scary in a way.

While we were opening the account, Nickson said, "Well, you might not use the account now, but once you marry a nice Haitian man and have kids then they can use your account."  Clearly I can see what Nickson wants for my future, ha...I'm not so sure about that.  As we were leaving the bank, Nickson said, "Miss Katie you are pretty much Haitian."







1 comment:

  1. Do you only have to have a Haitian bank account if you are applying in Haiti?Or if you are applying in the US can you just have a regular US bank account

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...