Thursday, November 10, 2011

First Day Teaching

Today was my first day back to teaching at TLC.  I expected that the kids would be pretty crazy since I have been gone for so long, and they did not disappoint!  It was a great day.  They were all very excited to fill me in on everything that they learned while I was away.  It took me a little while to get my bearings back in the classroom, but I quickly felt like I picked up where I had left off.  My favorite part of school today was the multiple times that I was called "Mr. Nickson!".  The kids really got a laugh each time I said, "What's my name?!"

It didn't take long for the word to get out that I'm back.  After school "my boys" were promptly knocking on the gate to see me.  They informed me that they aren't my friends anymore because I left without even telling them that I was leaving, haha.  They wanted to know what I had done in the United States and how my family is doing.  Then, they walked me to Dorothy's house.  When we parted at the gate, they made sure to remind me  that they weren't going to say goodbye because they were still mad at me (even though they said it with big smiles on their faces).

I spent some time in the evening visiting with Dorothy and her kids.  We joked that I can never sneak into her house.  As soon as I'm spotted the kids all start chanting my name.  They sure know how to make someone feel loved.  I was able to join the kids and nannies for bedtime devotions, songs, and prayer.  Then, I gave them each a kiss goodnight.  Before I left, the older kids expressed that they too were mad at me because I have not been around to play with them or invite them over to my house.  It seems that I have some making-up to do with all my Haitian loved ones!  It's nice to know that I was missed.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...