Wednesday, November 16, 2011

In the U.S. we have the tooth fairy....

...but, in Haiti we have rats!  This week one of my students, Laniese, lost a tooth.  It has been loose since the beginning of the school year, and her new tooth actually came in behind the baby tooth.  So, it has been causing her some pain, but she would not let me pull it out for her.

During recess, another student accidentally bumped her and her tooth popped right out!  After a few tears, Laniese happily put the tooth in her pocket to take home.  The next day, I asked her what she did with her tooth.  She informed me that she and her mama threw it on the roof of her house and said, "Here you go rat! Take my old tooth and give me a new pretty one!"



I was a little confused until Miss Kattiana confirmed that throwing your baby teeth onto the roof of your house is perfectly normal.  Apparently instead of the tooth fairy, in Haiti you give your tooth to the "rats" on the roof and ask them for a new tooth.  When I stopped and thought about it, I realized that its really not that crazy.  I mean we Americans put our teeth under a pillow and wait for a "fairy" to give us money for it.  We are pretty strange, too.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...