Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Problems problems


We have been having some inconvenient problems here at the school this week. If things were perfect in Haiti, we would have city power (EDH) 24/7 like in the United States. If things were not perfect but functioning normally, we would have a working inverter and generator as back-up power sources. While we do have both of those things, sadly, neither are in working order at the moment. Our inverter stopped working before Christmas and Nickson has been struggling to find someone to repair it.  Just this week our generator overheated and blew a gasket, and it is now in need of repair. So, we are now solely relying on EDH for all of our power. In other words...we really don't have any electricity. Yesterday it was off all day and did not come on until some time during the middle of the night last night. By the time school started today, the power was out again. So, none of the teachers have been able to make any copies and the students have been doing school work in the dark.

Since I live on school property, that also means that I have been power-less, too. Last night, I made my dinner by candle light.  I actually do not mind going without power.  In fact, there is something very peaceful and relaxing about it.   However, I worry that if it is out for too long all my food in the refrigerator will need to be thrown out.  Right now I'm am typing this blog on my lap top but I have no idea when the power will be back for me to post it.

On top of all the electricity problems, I personally am sick. I woke up in the middle of the night with a very angry upset stomach.  I have case of what we like to call “Haitian Happiness”.  For fear of being more than a few feet away from a bathroom, we decided that I should stay in my apartment and rest today.  So, prayers for my health and our electricity problem would be much appreciated!

Another prayer request is for the victims and families involved in a terrible accident last night at one of the busiest intersections on Main Delmas.  From what I have heard and read, a tractor trailer lost its breaks while driving on Delmas 33 and smashed through one of the busiest intersections.  The truck hit cars, motorcycles, pedestrians, street vendors, and anything else in its path.  It smashed them all through the walls of the Haitian Television station.  I've heard that 55 people have been confirmed dead.  Please, pray for the victims and loved ones of the deceased.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...