Monday, January 9, 2012

Yes, we're alive!

I just wanted to post a quick update to let you all know that Kaitlin and I are in fact alive.  The day after we landed, the city power went out.  That is not uncommon, but we usually have a generator and/or inverter.  However, this time our inverter was not working and our generator would not start!  So, we went three days with no power.  It was not a big deal except for the fact that we had to throw out a lot of our food that spoiled in the refrigerator.

Since school did not start back up until today, we had lots of free time.  We visited with Dorothy's kids, visited and museum and went sight seeing with one of my Haitian friends, and spent time with several of my American friends.  I am glad to be getting back to my normal routine of school.

Mr. Nickson is back from his two week trip to the United States (it was his first time leaving Haiti).  His stories are HILARIOUS!  He said, "McDonald's is like magic!  You just drive up to the window, tell them what you want, and it is ready in a few seconds!"  I think my favorite story was that he took a picture of a sign at an intersection that said "push the button to cross".  He was SO amazed that if he pushed the button the traffic would stop so he could safely cross.  Oh, the things that American's take for granted!

The video below is from Kaitlin's first day in Haiti.  She took some footage in the airport.  Honestly, the video is nothing compared to how crazy it actually was in person.  I would also like to make a correction. In the video she said that "Katie got into a fight".  NOT TRUE!  HA!  I told her that I saw someone get into a fight while I was looking for my bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...