Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Treasured Conversations

After my recent blog post about my frustration and struggles with my "street boys", I just knew that I had to write about something that happened last night.  When I got home from teaching my English class in the evening, one of the boys was standing outside my gate by himself.  It was unusual that he was alone.  Most times, there are at least two or three boys together.

We small talked for a few minutes and then I asked him if he was hungry (that is usually the case when they wait outside my gate).  "Yes, Miss Katie," he replied.  After giving him some food, I sat down on the ground in front of my gate with him.  We ended up sitting and talking for nearly an hour (all in Creole).  It was one of those conversations that gives me joy, hope, and encourages me to keep pushing forward.

We talked about many different things, some serious topics and some just joking around.  He asked me if I love Haiti.  When I told him, "yes, I love Haiti a lot" he responded that he doesn't like Haiti.  I asked him why and he said, "It smells bad, there is trash everywhere, people lie and people steal all the time."  I agreed that, yes it is very difficult here.  I explained that being here is hard for me sometimes and I do miss my family, friends and country.  He asked, "If it is difficult for you, why don't you just stay in the United States?"  I explained to him that God wants me here in Haiti.  I told him that I love the people here, and I want to help them change their hearts and make this country a nice place.  He asked, "People in the United States don't lie or steal?  Everyone there loves Jesus?"  I chuckled and said, "No, there are many people in the United States that do not love Jesus.  There are many people who lie and steal.  The difference is that in the United States people have lots of money and lots of nice things.  On the outside, it looks like they are fine.  In Haiti, people don't have as many things.  But, both places have many problems.  The people in the United States have as many problems in their hearts as the people in Haiti.  Many Haitians think that if they could get to the US and have money then they would be happy and all their problems would disappear.  But, there are many wealthy Americans who are lonely and sad even though they have many material things." After explaining all this, he did not say much.  He nodded and said he understood.  I could tell that he was processing and thinking about everything that I said.

We talked about the way that Haitian men treat white women, and women in general.  I told him how angry they make me when they make kissing noises and cat calls at me all the time.  He said, "Well, that's because Haitian men love American women.  American women are pretty so the Haitian men want to talk to you." I laughed and explained that the way they talk to us is rude.  I told him that if men here would like to talk to a woman, instead of making rude comments or noises they should say, "Good afternoon, madame.  How are you?"  He thought that was funny.  I told him that when he gets older he better not treat women with disrespect.  Maybe if I can teach all the boys this at a young age it will stick once they get older.

We talked about his family.  His parents were killed in the earthquake and he lives with his aunt and uncle.  He said he loves his aunt a lot and she takes good care of him.  He said that neither his aunt or his uncle have jobs.  Sometimes, his aunt sells food on the street to earn a little money.  He said they have no money for food, but whenever they do have food his aunt always lets him eat before her.  He said that sometimes he comes to my gate because his aunt tells him to go ask the white people for money, food, or a job.

It is one-on-one conversations like these that remind me why I am here: its not about what I am "doing".  It is about relationships.  It is conversations like these that give me a glimpse of what life is like for the kids.  It is conversations like these that I can be real with the kids, and teach them.  It is conversations like these that I thank God for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...