Thursday, October 14, 2010

Anne had her baby!

Today we took the boys to school as usual, dropped Jesula and Rosa off at the HIV clinic, and then headed straight to Chancerelles maternity hospital to check on Anne. Since we had already spent so much time at the hospital (and because we were the only white people there) we kind of made friends with a man that worked there. He saw us pull into the parking lot and informed us right away that Anne had her baby shortly after we left last night. She had a healthy baby girl weighing just over six pounds. Thank you, God!

As we walked down the sidewalk towards the hospital, we passed a few women that I recognized from the day before. A few of them waved to me with big smiles. I was so happy to see them doing well, that I smiled and waved right back. I guess maybe my sympathy and smiles from the day before actually did help them in some small way after all.

We kind of got special priority and our friend led us into the room where Anne spent the night. I counted at least 10 beds crammed in the room, and some women including Anne, were sharing beds with others. The women were required to bring their own food, water, toilet paper, sheets, and all other necessities. She was not scheduled to check out for another two hours, but our new friend pulled a few strings for the two blancs and we were able to leave a few minutes later. As we were waiting to get the baby's birth certificate, Dorothy pointed out one baby with a small white dot on his forehead that looked like some kind of a sticker. She explained that it is a voodoo custom to ward off evil spirits.

The room where the women go after giving birth.

Anne's baby girl!

We loaded up in the truck and headed for home. Anne sat in the backseat holding the baby in her lap (no one really uses car seats here). We asked her if she named the baby yet, and she just smiled and said no. I think she was too exhausted to care at that point. Dorothy offered to let her stay at our house for the day and night so that she could get help with the baby and a good nights sleep. She refused the offer. I suspect it had something to do with her husband and children waiting at home. So, we drove her to her home, a tent city.

It was difficult to see her walking up the steep hill with her newborn knowing what was in store for them. Dorothy and I hope and pray that she can keep the baby healthy enough so that she does not end up here at our rescue.

Anne and her baby.

Anne, just over 12 hours after giving birth, hiking up the hill to her home...a tent.

I was so mentally and physically exhausted when we got back to the house that I just wanted to crash. I feel like we have barely been at home all week. I was SO thankful when Dorothy told me she could manage getting the boys at school without me since Jesula would be along to help. I spent a little time in my room trying to relax and reflect on this week. I got some encouraging words from a friend on facebook.  This is a quote from Mother Teresa, “Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting.” I realized that was all I really could do for the women at the hospital, and I hope that it gave them some comfort.

After taking my little break, I decided to work on painting the wall. It was a beautiful day outside (about 95 degrees) and did not look like any storms would be passing through. I spent nearly 5 hours painting, and it felt so good to be out in the sunlight. The wall is looking SO MUCH better with the fresh paint. I can't wait until it is completely finished. I'm feeling refreshed and revived, who knew manual labor could be so therapeutic? As usual, I had the typical passerby’s who wanted to stare and couldn't believe that a white girl was working. But, I also had many friendly people smile and wave. A few women even gave me thumbs up as they drove past, ha! A car full of American's stopped and rolled down their windows to talk (I really stand out, hahaha). They said they are staying at Dottie's guesthouse, where I stayed in 2008, and wanted to know what we do here. They said a group is meeting them here from PA tomorrow. They said they would like to come in and see the children sometime. If not, I may have to talk a walk up to Dottie's and meet them. It would be nice to spend a little time with some PA folks!

After painting, I showered and ate dinner. I spent some time playing with the “big kids”. They love to rough house and run around in the evening. Johnny and Rosa started taunting me to chase them by calling my name and wiggling their little behinds at me. Where did they learn that one haha?? When Johnny calls my name (Miss Katie) its sounds more like “lee ko lee”. It's pretty comical. After the trip to the hospital, painting all afternoon, and chasing the kids, I am going to sleep well tonight!

I just want to thank all of you that follow what I'm doing here for your prayers and support. This has been a really difficult week, and I know that I would not be able to handle all of it alone. God has been guiding me through everything and giving me a lot of strength. THANK YOU!! Keep praying, friends! I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...