Saturday, October 30, 2010

Saturday Update

Last night, we finally had EDH, city electricity, for the first time in over a week. I woke up and was so excited because my fan was still on. Usually out inverter batteries run out during the night and I wake up sweating. I finally got a good night's rest!

In the morning, I drove six of the kids to our church where there is a playground. They had a blast climbing around, kicking soccer ball, and swinging. We couldn't stay more than an hour because we were all hot and sweaty.

After we got home, I spent the afternoon hanging around the house playing with the kids. We drew with sidewalk chalk outside on the driveway. At one point, we were walking out back and there was water running down the sidewalk from the laundry area. All of the sudden, Johnny plopped down on his belly in a puddle and started splashing. That boy LOVES water, haha! So, I went into the house and filled a five gallon bucket with water. Then, we all went outside and had a water fight. Johnny was sticking his whole head in the bucket. Naturally, all the kids went after me with the water. I think I was more wet than they were. Then, they all started stripping down to their undies right there in the drive way, ha! It was a hoot. Once again, the nannies laughed at me for walking into the house soaking wet. That seems to be happening a lot lately, ha!

Sometime in the afternoon, Mary and Emory stopped by the house with some guests they had just picked up at the airport. Mary and Emory are missionary friends of ours from Gonaives. That is where Aaron and Youvendjii are both from. So, they like to stop and visit them every couple of weeks or so to see how they are doing. They would still like me to go to Gonaives with them sometime soon and stay for a few days.

In the evening, I did a load of laundry. I don't know why (I guess its just because it involves so much water) but the kids LOVE to come play/watch me do laundry. I rarely get a moment to myself here, ha! Usually when I blog or need to use the computer, I have to tell them that I'm working and can't play.

Bigerson's dad came to check in on him in the evening. I thought it was really nice to see that he misses and cares for his son. I hope that he continues to come often to keep that relationship with his son.

Monday and Tuesday, the kids have off school for holiday and all the stores and public places will also be closed. It is the “Day of the Dead” and the Catholic “All Saints Day.” I don't know a lot about it, but it is the most popular Vodou holiday of the year. They honor the spirits of the dead and deceased, supposedly named Gede and Baron Samdi. Those who practice Vodou will congregate in cemetaries with Vodou priests and priestess to present offerings to the dead, burn Vodou candles, and dance. We heard from some parents at school, that they will pour coffee and alcohol on the graves for the dead. I read that the Vodou priests and priestess will often dance provocatively, sing, and perform rituals for the followers. I don't know how accurate this is, but I also read that certain Vodou followers are known for their sexual nature so their may even be fornication in the streets. If you ask me, it sounds like a hay day for Satan. Haiti could certainly use extra prayers on Monday and Tuesday.

What's so unusual about cows grazing on the playground?

I'm surprised there were no goats.

They loved the swings!



Johnny

Mackendy having fun!



Chacha and Claudine

Rosa

Richardson

Rosa loved spinning!

Mich and Chacha

Rosa and I on the swing

Rosa and I

Chacha, Mackendy, and Rosa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...