Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Haiti is NOT a "throw away country"

When we left the house today, we thought that it was going to be a “normal day”. Obviously Dorothy and I both forgot that there are no normal days in Haiti. We left the house at 7AM to drive Dianne and Staci to the airport. From there, we dropped the three boys off at school. On the way home from the school, Dorothy's cell phone rang. Ann, Emanuel's mother, was at our house and she was in labor. Dorothy had agreed that when Ann went into labor, she would take her to the hospital and pay for a tubal ligation since it was her 7th child. “Great.” we thought as we got stuck in traffic. Dorothy said, “I swear God is determined to have you experience everything possible while you are here. I just don't understand why he is making me come along for the ride, too!” We had a good chuckle about it, but she told me there was no way she was letting me stay at home today, ha!

When we finally got back to the house, Ann was waiting for us. I ran inside and grabbed some rubber gloves, blankets, and the book “Where There is No Doctor”. We loaded up in the truck and took off. Dorothy asked me to read the section on delivering a baby while we were driving. Great. No pressure! Halfway there, Karen, another missionary, met us so that we could follow her to the hospital. We had never been there before. It is a special hospital for pregnant women and it is located in a poor area near Cite Soleil. As we were walking in, I mentally prepared myself for what I would probably see inside. We got Ann inside and registered. As we were led to the waiting room, I saw women in labor laying on the hallway floor crying in pain. The waiting room was filled with at least 15 to 20 women in labor. There were not enough benches, so many women were laying or sitting on the floor. I had to step over a pool of blood on the floor as we walked inside. One young woman was laying on a stretcher in the middle of the room bleeding. She looked as if she had just had a miscarriage. Another woman was moaning and crying in pain. I thought she might have her baby right there on the floor. I literally felt like I was in hell. Because the hospital was so small, family and friends were not allowed in. So, here were all these women alone. I think because we were white, we were allowed to enter with Ann. At one point, a janitor came out and started yelling at two women to move out of his way. They were laying on the floor. I finally got so angry at him that I went over and helped one lady up myself. She could barely stand or walk and I led her to another spot on the floor. I held back tears. Not for myself. Not because it was shocking. Not because I couldn't handle it. I had tears because of the lack of compassion for these women and the fact that the government is living in luxury while there are not even enough hospitals for the citizens.

The entrance to the hospital

The hall.  This poor woman was in pain with no meds and no bed.


So many women and babies in one room

Ann finally saw a doctor, and we found out that she was 5 cm dilated. Unfortunately, we had to leave her there because it was time to get the children at school. As we were walking out, Karen called. On her way home from showing us to the hospital, she found a dead baby next to a dumpster. This is Haiti. This is what you see and deal with everyday. NOTHING IS EVER EASY.

As I thought about it, I realized that it is a “throw away country.” The government cares so little for its own country that it is treated as garbage. The people here are living in conditions that would NEVER be tolerated in the US. Because the country is treated like garbage, the people here have been hardened and treat each other like garbage. There is no longer compassion for a woman in pain on the floor. People are literally throwing children into dumpsters because they cannot or will not care for them. People do not trust each other and there is hatred and selfishness all around. People around the world have decided that Haiti is a “throw away country.” I've had people ask me why I bother here if this country can't be saved. I've had people say that Haiti will never improve. Yes, it can be like a living hell here. But, it is NOT a throw away country. Someone has to show Haiti that it is valuable. They have to know God's love. If no one else on Earth loves this country, God does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...