Sunday, October 17, 2010

Update on the past couple days

Our internet connection has not been working so I was unable to post the past couple of days. On Friday, Dorothy took our new nanny along to take the kids to school. So, I did not have to go. I took the opportunity to work some more on painting the wall. I finished the part closest to the gate. It looks 100 times better! I worked on that until after noon. Then, I took some time for myself to shower, read, and relax. It was SO nice to get some down time.

Yesterday was another sunny day. So, I worked again on the wall. I realized that it is a VERY big and long wall, ha! It is nice to be out in the sunshine working. Also, I love being able to step back and admire my hard work. I have kind of made friends with our neighbor guy across the street. He and his father work outside making furniture almost everyday. He doesn't speak English though. I think he kinda looks out for me while I am outside along the road working. It is nice to know because a lot of men stop and try to talk to me or ask if I will hire them. Yesterday a Haitian guy stopped to talk and asked me for my number. That was interesting. Two twelve year old boys stopped to talk to me for about half an hour and watch me work. They attracted two more people who stayed to watch the white girl work, too. I was really getting quite the crowd, ha! I never knew I would get so much attention by painting a wall!

Kez stopped by around lunch time so I called it quits on the painting. She just returned from 5 days in the states and brought some chocolate back for me. :) We all sat and talked over lunch (rice and beans) and caught up. She is a nurse so we filled her in on our experience at Chancerelles maternity hospital. After she left, I spent some time preparing for my Sunday school lesson. Then, I went to prayer group at the church.

Today, we went to church, and it was a baptism Sunday. There were about 25 people that got baptized. The pastor asked me to be a part of a small group of people that prayed for each person after they came out of the water. I guess you could say I am one of the church's prayer warriors now, ha!

After church, I spent the afternoon just hanging out with the kids and doing laundry. Around dinner time, Dorothy and I worked together to assemble a high chair that someone mailed to her. It has been a blessing to have a few days of “mental rest” after last week's escapades at the hospital. You might enjoy this story: On Saturday, I opened up my suitcase to get some trail mix. I saw that a mouse had chewed a hole through the bag of trail mix. Upon further investigation, I noticed that the mouse also ate half a piece of Dove dark chocolate! Today, Dorothy said when she got up in the morning, there was a mouse “swimming” in the sink trying to get out. We need an exterminator, ha!

EDH, which is the Haitian electricity, has been out for the past couple days. So, we have been using lots of diesel to run the generator. Right now, we are out of fuel and running on the power from the inverters. Once those run out this evening, we will be out of electricity until we can get some more fuel tomorrow sometime. Aside from the fact that it is an inconvenience, it's really not that big of a deal. However, it is hot here and it can be difficult to sleep without a fan. So, if possible, please pray that the EDH will be up and working again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...