Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Feeling better and dancing in the rain!

Today I am finally over my Haitian stomach virus and back to normal!  Thank you, Lord!  It was Dorothy's birthday.  I felt awful because she was gone from 7 AM to 1 PM driving kids to school, then to the TB clinic, then picking up a new child with HIV, bringing him home, going BACK to get the kids at school, and then finally home.  She forgot it was her birthday because she was so busy!  We were going to go to Epi Dor, a sandwich joint, for dinner to celebrate, but she was too tired.  Poor thing!  I made her brownies instead.  Epi dor will be another day.

While she was gone, I was playing hostess again.  A man from Kentucky, Bob, came today to make a storage shelf for the dinning room.  So, I was helping him find the tools he needed, etc.  He brought with him a woman and her daughter to visit and play with the babies.  I think they enjoyed holding kids and babies all day.  Who wouldn't??

So, the majority of my day was spent answering questions about Haiti and the kids and playing with children of course!  It was an exciting morning for the nannies and I.  Leika and Marvins both walked for the first time!  Marvens took about three steps and Leika took five or six!  It is a busy busy house!

As I mentioned earlier, Dorothy brought a new child, Bigerson, home from the HIV clinic today.  He is two years old will be with us permanently so that he can get the proper treatment for his AIDS.  While at the clinic, the social worker introduced her to two other children that will come to live with us soon.  Both are girls and have HIV.  One is nine months old, and the other five years old.  When they arrive, we will be up to 30 children at our house (most under the age of 4)!

In the late afternoon, I was running around, playing, and rough housing with the "big kids" when a thunderstorm came through.  It was nearly 95 degrees out today, so I was excited for the cool rain!  At the time, I had Rosa on one hip and Claudine on the other.  So, I carried them outside into the rain and starting running around.  They LOVED it!!  They were laughing and screaming so hard.  Obviously, it did not take long for Mich, Johnny, and Fred to hear us and come join in the fun.  Every time that I would carry them into the porch, they would yell, "Anko, anko, anko!"  Which means "again, again, again!"

When we finally all went into the house, soaking wet and full of smiles, the nannies looked at me like I was insane.  They just laughed and shook their heads at me.  Haitians don't like rain at all, in fact they are slightly afraid of it and will avoid it at all costs.  I'm sure they really think I'm a crazy blanc now, ha!  I think I enjoyed dancing in the rain as much as the kids did!

Prayer requests:
-The most obvious: for the spread of cholera to be stopped
-for us to be able to find a driver (and the funds to pay his salary) to help with the burden of driving kids to and from the clinic and school everyday (Dorothy usually spends 4 to 5 hours a day out running around)
-for the two girls with HIV that are currently in the hospital until they are healthy enough to be released and come live with us

Thank you all SO much for your love, prayers, and support!  I wouldn't be able to do this without it!  I hope to post some more photos soon, sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...