Sunday, January 9, 2011

You're going home, love, where you belong.

I have devastating news. I just received an email from Dorothy.  This is difficult to write.  One of our precious baby girls, Leila, went home to be with her heavenly Papa today.




At five years old, Leila came to live with us in November.  The HIV clinic asked us to take her because her mother was not caring for her.  Leila had AIDS and a heart condition.  Before coming to live with us, she spent several months in the hospital.  When she was finally healthy enough, she came to live with us.

When Dorothy and I saw Leila, it was love at first sight.  She was truly a loving and precious daughter of Christ.  Despite her difficult life, she was full of love.  We could tell that her mother did not care for her, as Leila was not at all upset when her mother left her.  She was gentle, caring, and completely full of joy.  I can still see Leila coming to me with her arms outstretched on her first day with us.  I will always remember holding her in my arms and showering her with love her for the few short months that we had together.  I can hear her sweet little giggle as she calls my name.  Every night when I would kiss all the children goodnight, she was always one of the first ones to reach for me from her bed.  I know she is with our Papa in heaven and we will see her again, but it is still so hard being away and wishing that I had been there with her.

Below is an excerpt from the e-mail that Dorothy sent explaining what happened:

"Leila has been sick for several days.  She went to the doctor Thursday, had tests done on Friday and had an appointment next Thursday to follow up.  Her appetite has not been good but today she wouldn't eat anything or take her medicine.  I had to force her to drink Pedialyte.  We expected the doctor around 1:30 but he didn't get here until 4:30 or so.  He told me to take her to the hospital.  Sr. Felicite (a nanny) agreed to stay overnight with her so I took them over to Ti Frere Hospital around 6:30 tonight.  I came home.  I was here about an hour before getting a call that Leila had died.  I just now got back from picking up Sr. Felicite. 

We don't know why she died.  None of us expected her to die.  We knew she needed IV fluids and medication and were sure she would get better.  She died in Sr. Felicite's arms while they were still sitting in the waiting area, before she even went into the actual emergency room.  It was very sudden.  I hope to get more information tomorrow from Dr. Pierre-Louis.

We are devastated.  Shawn (from MSI) called just as I got to the hospital the second time.  He is arranging to come over around noon tomorrow to do a small service.  The hospital will take care of the burial.  I have to go back tomorrow to make arrangements."

Yesterday I purchased a CD by singer JJ Heller.  The following song titled "Olivianna" is on the CD.  I don't think it is a coincidence. 

(in the Lyrics I changed the name Olivianna to Leila)

Hearts broke when your heart stopped beating
I don’t know if mine will ever stop bleeding
Eleven minutes to breathe you in
I felt the darkness
When I knew I couldn’t hold you again …


Leila, you’re in the arms of God
Just a moment there is better than here


Life is short, but it is wide
I know it’s true
You’ve touched more souls
than most people ever do


Leila, you're in the arms of God
Just a moment there is better than here

You could not stay with us
We will come to you
You could not stay with us
You’re going home, Love, where you belong
Oh my baby girl, I’ll see you soon



Leila's precious little life is a reminder of just how fragile all our lives are.  I thank you, Lord, for paying our debt so that we can spend eternity in your arms of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...