Friday, February 25, 2011

All is well

I am almost afraid to write that things are going well here on my own (I feel like writing it might jinx me).  But, things are going well here.  I've been trying to take it easy because I've got a cold right now.  It is very hard to keep my distance from the kids without completely locking myself in my room.  Thankfully, things have been relatively calm.

Our only "problem" of the day was when Samuel (our driver) took our truck to get the oil changed.  Because I'm girly and never learned how to change the oil myself, I called the garage to see if we could take the truck in.  They assured me that if we took the truck in the morning, it would only take an hour to finish.  So, as soon as Samuel dropped the kids off at the hospital and and HIV clinic, he went to the garage and arrived just before 9 AM.

I called him at 11 to check in.  He was still waiting!  So, I called the manager.  He assured me not to worry that they would be finished by 11:30.  At noon, Samuel called me.  He explained that they were still not finished and they were refusing to give him the truck so that he could go pick the kids up at school.  I called the manager again.  He assured me they were just about to give Samuel the truck.  At 1:20 Samuel called me AGAIN...still no truck.  This time, I was mad.  I called the manager and explained that I was VERY upset with their service and that my driver was over an hour and a half late to pick up my children at school and at the hospital.  Thankfully, that did the trick and they quickly finished and gave Samuel the truck.

Apparently, they took my instructions "change the oil" as "do a full service and take all day on it".  Typical Haiti.  Ugh.  The good thing about it was that when they finished, they told Samuel he did not need to pay.  They must have felt bad for taking FIVE HOURS to change the oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...