Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl in Haiti

Yesterday, I got an invitation to a Super Bowl party.  Yes.  A Super Bowl party in HAITI!  I could hardly believe it myself, ha!  Some American's from our church work as pilots here in Haiti.  So, they have a pretty "American" home and lifestyle.  I actually didn't even know you could have cable TV here!

They borrowed a projector from someone and we got to watch the game on a BIG screen.  The party was an open invitation to the senior high youth group and members of the church.  I think there were close to 40 Haitians and Americans there.  It was lots of fun.  It was, however, strange.  During the game I felt like I had somehow teleported to the US for a few hours (except for when the power went off for a few minutes).  As fun as it was, I have to admit I was bummed that the Steelers lost.  :(

The Super Bowl party was not in my neighborhood.  So, rather than get home late and have to wake Dorothy to unlock our gate, I spent the night at Keziah's house.  Kez calls her house "The Shoebox".  I have to agree with her.  It really is a shoebox.  She lives alone on the bottom floor of a small house.  She has no running water, a small mini fridge for her food, and an exam table as her couch.  It was SO nice for me to just get out of our crazy house for a night.  Kez and I ended up staying up late talking about "Haiti stuff" and praying together.  It was just a really nice escape for me.

In the morning, Kez had to see patients at her "Shoebox" so we got up, ate a quick breakfast, and then I headed home.  Because we only have one vehicle, and because Dorothy needed it while I was gone, I walked home.  I didn't mind though.  I like to get "out" on my own.  Kez has no vehicle so she walks or takes a tap-tap everywhere she has to go.  It was still early when I left Kez's so it wasn't hot out yet.  It was just really relaxing to be alone praying as I made my way up and down the rocky dusty roads.  When I was close to home, I ended up striking up a conversation with a young pregnant Haitian woman who was on her way to see a doctor.  I love that my Creole is finally getting good enough that I can carry on simple conversations with strangers.  After about 45 minutes, I made it home and back to my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...