Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Cado Mwen (My Gift)

I can't help, but sit here and smile as I think about the gift that I received a couple days ago. I know that I've written before about some of my neighborhood boy friends. There are always young boys out in the streets looking for something to do, someone to talk to, or someone who will give them some food or money.

Out of these boys, I have a few that are special to me. I consider them my little friends. They talk to me, walk with me, and stop by just to say hello. Sometimes they ask for food, but usually they just want to come see me. One of them is a student here at TLC, and he makes sure to never ask me for food because "I get food at school everyday". The other boy is Peterson, an orphan that lives in a tent with his cousins.

Two nights ago after the "Girls Change Party" I left to find the boys outside waiting for me. They walked me home and then very eagerly presented me with a "cado". They had worked together to make me a necklace!

I think touched me more than any gift I've ever been given. Two poor "street boys" that live in tents took the time, effort, and energy to make me a necklace out of handmade paper beads. Each bead is created from cardboard or recycled paper that is cut into strips and then rolled and varnished to create a round smooth bead. Not only is the necklace beautiful, but the meaning behind it makes it the most valuable piece of jewelry that I own.



It is gestures like that, that give me hope for this country. Two little boys that wanted to repay me for giving them a few snacks and the time of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...