Sunday, September 11, 2011

Kindergarten

I know that I'm overdue for an update on my kindergarten class.  Besides being insanely busy and worn out this week, the internet has also not been working very well.  So, I apologize for not being able to keep everyone updated.  BUT....I officially have one week of teaching under my belt!!

Photobucket
The classroom on the first day before my students arrived!

It has been a wonderful, exciting, stressful, exhausting, frustrating, and fun week so far.  As to be expected, my first day teaching was very overwhelming.  But, each day since then has been an improvement.  I had lots of fun with the kids.  Everyday, I am coming up with new ideas and each day poses new problems.  I knew when I decided to be a teacher that life was not going to be easy for me!  It has been a learning experience for me as much as it has been for the students.

Photobucket


What was the biggest thing that I've learned so far?  Kindergarteners have virtually NO ATTENTION SPAN!  I am really going to have to get creative in order to keep them focused.  (I also learning that they have the tiniest bladders ever!)


I am thankful for both the students sake and for my sake that each day is a fresh start.  We are learning and growing together.  We can learn to forgive each other for our mistakes and wrong doings.

The highlight of my week was seeing my students learning and catching on to the rules and routines of our classroom.  They are always saying and doing adorable/funny things as kids so often do.  Although it has been a lot of work enforcing good classroom behavior, I have seen lots of progress.

Photobucket


In case you might be curious as to what my daily schedule has been like this week here at the school, I will share it with you:

6:50 AM go down to my classroom to prep for the day
7:30 AM students arrive to eat breakfast
8:00 AM prayer, pledge, and worship together as a whole school
8::30 AM Pre-K starts and I help a young Haitian woman teach it (I've been trying to help her
                 learn how to be a better teacher and how to plan her day better)
11:00 AM Pre-K students go to lunch and Kindergarten students arrive for lunch
11:30 AM Pre-K students leave and I start my day with the kindergarteners
3:00 PM all students go home and I prep for the next day
4:00 PM I go "home" (five feet away from the school, haha) and go over my plans for the next
               day.  I try and figure what I can do better for the next day

This week has been both difficult and absolutely amazing and wonderful.  The difficult days made me appreciate the good days.  I have thought, "I am doing exactly what I was created to do!  I am born to be a teacher!"  AND...."I can't do this!  Lord, help me because I don't know how I will be able to do this everyday for a year!"  I have thanked God for creating children to be so adorable because some days it helps me to be more patient and understanding.  Some days, I have wished that I could be teaching in only English like a normal American teacher, while other days I have thanked God for the adventure of a bilingual class.  There have been (and will be) ups and downs everyday.  I will continue to pray for more compassion, more love, more patience, more creativity, and more discernment.

Thank you all for your prayers and support.  Whatever you do, don't stop praying for my students and I...we sure need it!

Photobucket
little seats for little kiddos


Photobucket
Laniese working hard


Photobucket
Henock has such a personality...he was using scissors for the first time!


Photobucket
Colo is shy and quiet, but he's a sweetheart!


Photobucket
Winie is a tiny little Pre-K student. 


Photobucket
We did self portraits in Kindergarten on the first day of school...I just LOVED this one, hahaha!  The "tree branch" arms and legs are awesome!


Photobucket


Photobucket
Lourdjina (pre-k) learning about the color red.  She is just a tiny little thing


Photobucket
Erlens (pre-K) is working hard on his coloring.


Photobucket
Marclay (pre-k)


Photobucket
play time!


Photobucket
Jeanel (kindergartener) during snack time.  He has trouble paying attention, but he is a happy little guy!


Photobucket


Photobucket
Christelle (kindergartener) during snack time. 


Photobucket
Patrick (kindergartener)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...