Sunday, September 4, 2011

Something isn't right...

I do not want to discredit any of the aid/relief work that is being done here in Haiti, but aside from the obvious problems in this country, there is something that is not right here.  How is it that there are over 10,000 different non-governmental organizations in Haiti, a country with less than 9 million citizens, and yet there is little to no change in the conditions over the years?  I read that Haiti has the largest concentration of NGOs per capita in the world!!!!!  That blows my mind!

Those statistics don't even include all of the UN troops and missionaries here that are too numerous to count.  Yes, I realize that by living here, I am included in these numbers.  Truthfully, I think that we (foreigners) need to leave Haiti.  The power in this country needs to be passed on from the foreigners to the Haitians.  They need to be equipped to run their own country.  The free hand-outs need to end, and Haitians need to be empowered to take care of themselves.

How long will it take us to wake up and realize that whatever we have been doing for all these years is not working?  Billions of dollars of aid have flooded into Haiti and yet it is still "the poorest country in the western hemisphere"?  Are we doing more harm than good?  These are questions that I am trying to figure out.  Maybe at times I have even been a part of the problem.  Maybe I just am not seeing the "big picture".  Let me be clear in saying that I don't know how to fix all of the problems here.  I certainly don't know all the answers, but I do know the end solution.  God.  It always comes back to Him.  But, in order to do what God wants here in Haiti, everyone that is here to "help" needs to be yielded to him, myself included.

If hearts here are not yielded to Him, how can we ever expect things to change?  I believe that true and lasting improvements and change here in Haiti ARE impossible without hearts turning to Him.  The corruption, lies, deceit, and false religious teachings need to come to an end.   I realize that things will not change overnight, but my God is a God of miracles, and He loves these people so much.  I pray, Lord, that I am here to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.  I pray that I answer to your Spirit's guiding only, not by my own strength or mind.


Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. 
--Ephesians 3:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...