Friday, September 16, 2011

Psalm 100

The memory verse that my students have been working on since school started is Psalm 100.  We've been learning it little by little with hand motions to go along with each phrase.  The kids love to shout it at the top of their lungs.  That is after all, a "joyful noise" right?

So far, they have really mastered: "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord all ye lands".  Earlier this week I added on, serve the Lord with gladness".  Now, you must understand that they are learning this verse in English.  I've explained to them what the words mean, but sometimes they don't quite say the English words right.  They really got confused when we started learning "serve the Lord with gladness".  You see, we have a student named "Clavens".  "Clavens" and "gladness" sound very much alike to a Haitian kindergartener.  So, many of my students are now reciting, "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord all ye lands.  Serve the Lord with Clavens!"  I mean, it does still make sense saying it that way, ha!

I tried to stop and explain that it is NOT Clavens it is gladness.  I had them all repeat the word gladness with me several times and then I explained the meaning of "gladness".  Thinking that they understood it now, we said the verse again.  This time they said, "Make joyful noise unto the Lord all ye lands.  Serve the Lord with Laniese."  At that point, I just couldn't keep from laughing.  "Laniese" is another student in the class.  Her name is pronounced, "Lan-yez".  Again, it sounds very similar to gladness.  At that point I gave up.  If my students want to serve the Lord with Clavens and Laniese, that is alright with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...