Monday, September 26, 2011

Girl's Change Party

During my limited "free time" I help out as a leader in the youth group, and I love spending time with my friends (both American and Haitian) that work for the organization "Child Hope International". 

All of Child Hope's activities and programs go on right here in my neighborhood.  Their girls and boys' orphanages are just a few houses down from me.  Recently, the girls in the orphanage have undergone a "change".  Previously, they were struggling to respect their adult house mom's.  They would often stay up all night and refuse to help out around the house doing chores. 

But, just this week the Lord has been working in many of their hearts.  The girls have seen their mistake and they have been working to change themselves.  The Holy Spirit has been moving in their hearts and lives.

In order to celebrate it they decided to throw a "Girls Change Party".  They even handed out actual invitations.  I love the girls, and I was thrilled to hear how the Lord has been working in their lives.  So, there was no way I was going to miss out on their party!

As I was walking from my house to the girls' orphanage, I could hear Haitian music playing before I even arrived.  When I got to the house, I saw that they had decorated the outside area with balloons and streamers.  They even had a little sound system rigged up to play music, and all the girls were dancing.  I knew it was going to be a fun night!

After some dancing, Ruth (my Haitian friend and a leader at the girls orphanage) took the microphone.  She explained the reason for the party.

Ruth speaking and Patrick as our DJ for the night


Then, all the girls put on a few skits to demonstrate the way that they used to act and the way that they act now.  It was so sweet.



After the skits, there was more dancing.  Later, the girls were presented with Bibles in Creole.  Most of them only have Bibles in English, and so the Manassero's wanted to give them Bibles in their own native language.

All the older orphanage girls together to receive their Bible's

After more dancing, all the guests were served a delicious Haitian style meal (fried plantains, rice, beef, and pikliz).  It was SO good!  Then, after some more dancing.  We had cake!

And can you guess what we ended the night with?? DANCING! You can't help but feel happy while dancing to Caribbean music with great friends!  It was the most fun that I have had in a long, long time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...